Minor League recap: 7/14/13
Jake Arrieta, acquired from the Orioles in the Scott Feldman deal, had a strong outing with Iowa Sunday. (Photo by Rob Carr/Getty)
Daytona, Boise and Mesa all picked up wins Sunday while Iowa lost in extras and Kane County continued its losing streak. Tennessee was rained out. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action.
Iowa Cubs (48-50)
Visiting Albuquerque scored four runs in the top of the 18th inning to beat Iowa 5-1. The five-and-a-half hour game featured 17 pitchers, and Iowa tied a franchise record for most innings played, dating back to Aug. 1, 1999, at Tacoma.
- RHP Jake Arrieta went six innings, allowing three hits and one earned while striking out nine.
- LF Ty Wright (.255) reached base four times, going 2-for-6 with two walks.
- CF Jae-Hoon Ha (.221) drove in Iowa’s lone run, going 1-for-4 with two walks and one RBI (7).
- LHP Jeffry Antigua (4.07) tossed a season high six scoreless innings of relief. He’s holding right-handed hitters to a .222 batting average (12-for-54).
- RHP Marcus Hatley (4.71) struck out two in two scoreless innings. He’s allowed just two runs over his last eight appearances (9.1 IP).
Daytona Cubs (15-7)
- C Chadd Krist (.225) homered for the second straight game, going 2-for-3 with a walk, two runs scored, a home run and one RBI (20).
- SS Elliot Soto (.275) went 2-for-4 with a walk and one RBI (6). He has hit safely in seven of his last eight games.
- 1B Dustin Geiger (.284) and RF Bijan Rademacher (.300) recorded two hits apiece.
- RHP Yao-Lin Wang (3-2) tossed two scoreless innings of relief to earn his third win of the season.
Kane County Cougars (4-18)
Kane County lost its seventh straight game, falling at West Michigan 5-2.
- RHP Scott Baker, making his first rehab start of the season, held West Michigan scoreless in his final two innings of work after allowing four runs in the first inning. He threw 34 of his 56 pitches for strikes.
- C Carlos Escobar (.260) went 1-for-3 with a fourth-inning two-run homer.
- 2B Gioskar Amaya (.265) recorded his fifth three-hit game of the season, going 3-for-4 with a walk and a double (20).
- LHP Michael Heesch (3.53) allowed two hits and struck out three in four scoreless innings of relief.
Boise Hawks (14-16)
Five Boise pitchers combined on an eight-inning shutout, as the Hawks defeated host Vancouver 3-0.
- 1B Jacob Rogers (.282) went 2-for-4 with a double (4) and one RBI (19).
- SS Daniel Lockhart (.323) recorded a team high three hits, going 3-for-4 with a double and two RBI (11). He has hit safely in five of his last six games.
- RHP Zack Godley (1-0, 0.00) tossed two scoreless innings of relief to earn his first win.
- LHP Matt Iannazzo (3.46) retired the side in order in the ninth inning to convert his third save of the year.
Mesa Cubs (10-10)
Mesa scored four runs in the ninth inning for a 6-4 victory at the AZL Athletics.
- DH Xavier Batista (.269) recorded a season high three hits, going 3-for-4 with two runs scored, a double (4), a home run and two RBI (6). He has hit safely in six of his last 10 games.
- C Erick Castillo (.292) went 1-for-3 with a walk, one run scored, a home run and two RBI (4).
- RHP Michael Wagner (0.00) struck out two hitters in the eighth inning to earn his first win of the year.
- LHP David Villegas (3.27) recorded his third save with a scoreless ninth inning.