Minor League recap: 7/15/13
Albert Almora continues to hit the ball well for Kane County. (Photo by Jason Wise)
Kane County snapped its lengthy losing streak, and Boise extended its winning streak Monday. Meanwhile, Daytona and Mesa both fell while Iowa and Tennessee had the day off. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action.
Daytona Cubs (15-8)
Daytona had its four-game winning streak snapped, falling to the visiting Jupiter Hammerheads 8-4.
- CF Zeke DeVoss (.251) went 2-for-5 with a run scored, a double (8), a home run and two RBI (40).
- DH Taiwan Easterling (.206) went 2-for-4 with a run scored, a double (8) and two RBI (23). He has hit safely in eight of his last nine games.
- SS Elliot Soto (.273) extended his hitting streak to four games, going 1-for-4 with a walk.
- LHP Frank Del Valle (2.79) tossed a scoreless inning of relief. He’s holding right-handed hitters to a .213 batting average (20-for-94) with 36 strikeouts.
Kane County Cougars (5-18)
Kane County snapped its season high, seven-game losing streak with a 7-4 victory at West Michigan.
- 2B Gioskar Amaya (.270) recorded his second straight three-hit game, going 3-for-5 with a walk, two runs scored, an RBI (19) and one stolen base (10).
- CF Albert Almora (.333) snapped a three-game hitless streak, going 2-for-5 with a walk and one RBI (20).
- 1B Daniel Vogelbach (.282) and C Willson Contreras (.232) each had three knocks.
- LHP Nathan Dorris (4-3, 2.95) tossed 2.1 scoreless innings of relief to earn his fourth win of the season.
- RHP Michael Hamann (0.00) recorded the final four outs of the game to convert his second save.
Boise Hawks (15-16)
Boise extended its winning streak to three games with a 7-4 victory on the road at Hillsboro.
- RHP Duane Underwood (6.12) tossed five innings of one-run, eight-hit ball while striking out one to earn the first professional win of his career.
- C Justin Marra (.207) went 1-for-4 with one run scored, a solo home run and one RBI (5).
- DH Jose Dore (.207) went 2-for-4 with one run scored, a home run and a season high three RBI (7).
- 2B Daniel Lockhart (.327) and SS Carlos Penalver (.198) each recorded two hits.
Mesa Cubs (10-11)
Mesa dropped an 8-4 decision at home against the AZL Athletics despite mounting a two-run, ninth-inning rally.
- C Alberto Mineo (.222) went 2-for-4 with one run scored, two doubles (2) and two RBI (2).
- LF Xavier Batista (.273) extended his hitting streak to five games, going 1-for-3 with a walk, one run scored and a fifth-inning double (5).
- LF Charcer Burks (.200) recorded his first professional multihit game, going 2-for-4 with a run scored and one RBI (1).