Minor League recap: 7/18/13
Brian Schlitter continues to pitch well for Iowa. (Photo by Stephen Green)
Iowa rallied from behind while Boise extended its winning streak and Mesa picked up a victory in the ninth Thursday. Tennessee and Kane County both fell, and Daytona was rained out. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action.
Iowa Cubs (49-50)
Iowa plated two runs in the sixth inning and four more in the eighth, rallying past host Round Rock 6-3.
- SS Donnie Murphy (.261) went 2-for-4 with a double (14), a homer, two runs scored and four RBI (38).
- RHP Yoanner Negrin (3-3, 4.57) earned the win in relief, allowing a hit while fanning two in a scoreless seventh frame.
- RHP Brian Schlitter (1.52) converted his 12th save, striking out the side in a perfect ninth inning of relief.
Tennessee Smokies (16-9)
Tennessee committed four errors in a 7-6 loss to visiting Jacksonville.
- 1B Justin Bour (.231) went 2-for-4.
- C Rafael Lopez (.233) reached base twice, going 1-for-3 with a walk, a homer, two runs scored and an RBI (23).
- RF Rubi Silva (.277) went 1-for-4 with a triple (6), a run scored and two RBI (40).
Kane County (5-20)
Kane County dropped a 3-2 decision to visiting Great Lakes, the Cougars ninth loss in their last 10 games.
- 1B Dan Vogelbach (.284) went 2-for-4 with an RBI (59).
- 2B Gioskar Amaya (.270) went 1-for-4 with a triple (6), a run scored and an RBI (20).
- RF Kevin Encarnacion (.250) went 1-for-2 with a run scored.
Boise Hawks (18-16)
Boise extended its winning streak to six games, plating three seventh-inning runs to rally past visiting Everett 3-2.
- DH Cael Brockmeyer (.286) went 2-for-3 with a double (2) and a run scored.
- CF Shawon Dunston (.298) reached base twice, going 1-for-3 with a walk.
- RHP Scott Frazier (1-1, 3.12) picked up the win in relief, despite allowing two runs on four hits in two innings. He also fanned four.
- RHP Jasvir Rakkar (3.86) converted his first save, fanning two in a scoreless ninth.
Mesa Cubs (11-12)
Mesa plated the game-winning run in the top of the ninth inning, edging the host AZL Royals 3-2.
- 3B Jesse Hodges (.221) went 2-for-4 with an RBI (7).
- SS Francisco Sanchez (.200) reached base twice, going 1-for-3 with a walk and two runs scored.
- RHP Orbandy Rodriguez (1-0, 0.00) picked up the win in relief, allowing two hits and fanning one in a scoreless eighth inning.
- LHP David Villegas (3.00) converted his fourth save, fanning two in a perfect ninth.