Minor League recap: 7/21/13
Josh Vitters has contributed for Iowa since his return from injury. (Photo by Stephen Green)
Kane County won in walk-off fashion and Boise’s bats came, but Iowa, Tennessee, Daytona and Mesa all took losses Sunday. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action.
Iowa dropped its third straight game, falling at Round Rock 3-0.
- RHP Barret Loux gave up three hits over five innings, striking out five and walking five.
- DH Donnie Murphy (.264) extended his hitting streak to eight games, going 1-for-4 with a double (15). He’s hitting .306 (11-for-36) during the streak.
- 3B Josh Vitters (.306) was 1-for-2 with a walk. He’s hit safely in five straight games.
- RHP Alberto Cabrera (0.00) struck out two while tossing two scoreless innings of relief in his Iowa debut.
Tennessee Smokies (18-10)
Tennessee managed just three hits in an 8-1 setback versus Jacksonville. The Smokies were outhit 18-3 and committed six errors.
- 2B Arismendy Alcantara (.284) went 1-for-4 with a run scored and a double (26). He has recorded a double in three straight games.
- SS Javier Baez (.216) extended his hitting streak to three games, going 1-for-4 with a double (2).
- LF Rubi Silva (.276) went 1-for-4 with a double (20), extending his hitting streak to seven games.
- LHP Hunter Cervenka (4.84) struck out two in two scoreless innings of relief.
Daytona Cubs (15-11-1)
Daytona failed to win its fifth straight game (including one tie), dropping a 7-5 decision to St. Lucie.
- 1B Dustin Geiger (.281) went 1-for-4 with a walk, a double (23) and an RBI (68).
- SS Elliot Soto (.267) went 1-for-3 with a run scored, two RBI (8) and one stolen base (2).
- RF Bijan Rademacher (.293) was 1-for-4 with an RBI (7).
- LF Zeke DeVoss (.253) reached base four times, going 2-for-3 with two walks, two runs scored and two stolen bases (27).
Kane County Cougars (7-21)
Kane County defeated visiting Lansing 6-5 in walk-off fashion (10 innings).
- 2B Gioskar Amaya (.283) went 4-for-4 with a walk, a run scored and a stolen base (11).
- DH Dan Vogelbach (.292) knocked in the game-winning run with a bases-loaded single in the bottom of the 10th inning. He finished 2-for-4 with a walk and two RBI (62).
- CF Albert Almora (.330) recorded his ninth, three-hit game of the season, going 3-for-5 with a walk, a run scored, a triple (4) and one RBI (21).
- RF Reggie Golden (.240) went 2-for-5 with a second-inning solo home run.
- RHP Michael Hamann (1-0, 0.00) allowed three hits in two scoreless innings, earning his first win of the year.
Boise Hawks (20-7)
Boise collected 16 hits in a 7-0 victory over visiting Everett.
- CF Shawon Dunston (.328) recorded his second-consecutive multihit game, going 4-for-5 with two RBI (16).
- LF Yasiel Balaguert (.276) went 1-for-4 with a walk, a run scored, a double (7) and one RBI (25).
- C Cael Brockmeyer (.340) went 2-for-3 with a walk, two runs scored, a triple (1) and one RBI (7).
- LF David Bote (.250) went 2-for-3 with a double (4) and three RBI (19).
- RHP James Pugliese was named Northwest League Pitcher of the Week for the week of July 15-21. He went 1-0 with a 0.00 ERA (0 ER/11.0 IP) and eight strikeouts in two starts.
Mesa Cubs (11-13)
Mesa committed a season-high seven errors, dropping a 10-9, 10-inning decision at the AZL Dodgers.
- CF David DeJesus (.200) went 1-for-4 with a run scored and a double (1) in the second game of his rehabilitation assignment.
- 3B Kris Bryant (.000) was hitless in three at-bats in his professional debut.
- SS Francisco Sanchez (.205) went 1-for-3 with three runs, a home run, three RBI (13) and two stolen bases (2).
- 1B Mark Malave (.263) went 3-for-5 with two runs scored and a double (2).