Minor League recap: 7/22/13
Edgar Gonzalez has had a successful stretch. (Photo by Stephen Green)
The lower levels were victorious, as Boise wrapped up its first half with a win and Mesa secured a one-run victory Monday. Iowa, Tennessee and Kane County all lost, and Daytona was rained out. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action.
Iowa Cubs (49-54)
Iowa dropped a 9-2 decision to visiting New Orleans in a rain-shortened, seven-inning affair. The Cubs have lost four straight games.
- SS Donnie Murphy (.264) extended his hitting streak to nine games with a third-inning solo home run. He’s hitting .300 (12-for-40) with two home runs and six RBI during the streak.
- 1B Brad Nelson (.259) recorded his 22nd multihit game of the season, going 2-for-3 with a run scored and a double (16).
- LF Edgar Gonzalez (.381) went 1-for-3 with a double (4) and an RBI (2). He’s hit safely in five of his last six games.
Tennessee Smokies (18-11)
Visiting Jacksonville used a three-run eighth inning to beat the Smokies 5-4.
- 1B Justin Bour (.233) went 2-for-4 with a fourth-inning solo home run.
- C Rafael Lopez (.229) was 2-for-4 with a double (18) and a season-high three RBI (27).
- LF/RF Rubi Silva (.278) went 2-for-4 with a run scored, extending his hitting streak to eight games. He’s hitting .313 (10-for-32) during the streak.
- RHP Kyle Hendricks received a no-decision despite allowing no earned runs in seven innings. The All-Star owns a 0.60 ERA (2 ER/30.0 IP) with 26 strikeouts in his last five starts.
Kane County Cougars (7-22)
Kane County had its two-game winning streak snapped with a 5-2 loss to Lansing.
- LF Reggie Golden (.240) homered for the second straight game, going 1-for-4 with the clout and two RBI (13).
- 1B Dan Vogelbach (.293) extended his hitting streak to nine games, going 1-for-3 with two walks. He’s hitting .500 (16-for-32) during the streak.
- DH Rock Shoulders (.248) doubled for the second straight game, going 1-for-5 with his 17th two-bagger.
- RHP Justin Amlung (4.88) and RHP Stephen Perakslis (3.45) each tossed a scoreless inning of relief.
Boise Hawks (21-17)
Boise wrapped up the first half of the season, recording its second straight three-hit shutout to beat visiting Everett 10-0. The Hawks have won nine of their last 10 games.
- 1B Jacob Rogers (.287) went 2-for-5 with a double (5), a home run and one RBI (25).
- 2B Dan Lockhart (.310) and DH Lance Rymel (.324) recorded two hits apiece while driving in a run.
- C Cael Brockmeyer (.352) recorded his fourth multihit effort in his last five games, going 2-for-4 with two runs scored and one RBI (8).
- 3B Jordan Hankins (.247) went 2-for-5 with a run scored, a double (3) and one RBI (4).
- LHP Sam Wilson (1-0, 0.00) earned his first professional win, tossing two scoreless innings of relief while striking out four.
Mesa Cubs (12-13)
Mesa got past the visiting AZL Royals with a 2-1 victory.
- CF David DeJesus (.375) went 2-for-4 with two runs scored, a double (2) and one stolen base (1) in the third game of his rehabilitation assignment.
- 3B Kris Bryant (.167) recorded his first professional hit and RBI, going 1-for-3 with a double (1) and two RBI (2). He has since been promoted to Boise.
- RHP Josh Davis (2-0, 0.00) tossed 1.2 scoreless innings of relief, earning his second win of the season.
- RHP Trevor Graham (1.50) recorded the final six outs to convert his first save.