Minor League recap: 7/23/13
Logan Watkins had a solid day at the plate. (Photo by Stephen Green)
It was a good day for the Cubs’ minor league affiliates. Iowa earned a walk-off win, Daytona split a doubleheader, Boise opened up the second half with a victory and Mesa cruised. Tennessee was unable to snap its losing streak while Kane County had the day off. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action.
Iowa Cubs (50-54)
Iowa snapped its four-game losing streak, defeating visiting New Orleans 1-0 in walk-off fashion.
- RHP Guillermo Moscoso gave up one hit in five scoreless innings of work, striking out nine. He’s 3-0 with a 2.08 ERA (7 ER/30.1 IP) and 29 strikeouts in five July starts.
- 3B Edwin Maysonet’s (.260) two-out RBI single in the bottom of the ninth lifted the Cubs. He finished 1-for-4 with the RBI (23), extending his hitting streak to three games.
- 2B Logan Watkins (.247) recorded his 22nd multihit game, going 2-for-4.
- RHP Brian Schlitter (2.45) earned his first win of the season with a perfect ninth inning of work.
Tennessee Smokies (18-12)
Tennessee lost its third straight game, falling at Huntsville 6-4.
- SS Javier Baez (.203) went 1-for-4 with a sixth inning solo home run.
- LF John Andreoli (.293) was 1-for-4 with a double (7) and one RBI (8). He’s hit safely in four of his last five games.
- 3B Christian Villanueva (.254) went 1-for-4 with a run scored and his 25th double of the campaign.
- RF Rubi Silva (.278) extended his hitting streak to nine games, going 1-for-4 with a double (21). He’s hitting .306 (11-for-36) during the streak.
- RHP’s Marcos Mateo (0.00) and Frank Batista (2.49) each tossed a scoreless inning of relief.
Daytona Cubs (16-12-1)
GM 1: Daytona failed to win its sixth straight game (one tie) with a 5-3 setback against visiting St. Lucie.
- 2B Wes Darvill (.253) went 3-for-3 with a double (8) and two RBI (20).
- 1B Dustin Geiger (.281) went 1-for-3 with a double (24).
- RHP Austin Reed (4.33) allowed just two hits in a season-high 4.1 scoreless innings of relief. He owns a 0.47 ERA (1 ER/19.0 IP) with 10 strikeouts in his last six outings.
GM 2: Daytona used a three-run first inning to cruise past St. Lucie 7-0.
- 3B-SS Wes Darvill (.260) went 2-for-3 with two runs scored, a double (9), a triple (4) and a season-high-tying three RBI (23). He finished the day 5-for-6 with five RBI.
- RF Taiwan Easterling (.208) went 1-for-3 with an RBI (24) and two stolen bases (8).
- LF Pin-Chieh Chen (.242) went 1-for-2 with a fourth-inning solo home run.
- RHP Pierce Johnson recorded his third straight victory and has now allowed just one earned run in his last 16.0 innings of work (0.56 ERA).
- LHP Frank Del Valle (2.83) preserved the shutout with two scoreless innings of relief.
Boise Hawks (1-0)
Boise opened the second half of the season with their third straight shutout, beating host Eugene 6-0. The Hawks have won 10 of their last 11 games.
- 1B Jacob Rogers (.293) homered for the second straight game, going 2-for-4 with a double (6), the home run and two RBI (27). He has recorded an RBI in four consecutive games.
- 2B Daniel Lockhart (.311) went 1-for-3 with two walks and two RBI (16).
- CF Jacob Hannemann (.296) went 2-for-4 with a walk, two runs scored and two stolen bases (3).
- RHP Corbin Hoffner (1.35) tossed three innings of relief to extend his scoreless innings streak to 11.0 IP.
Mesa Cubs (13-13)
Mesa blew past the visiting AZL Indians with a 7-2 victory.
- CF David DeJesus (.364) went 1-for-3 with a walk and a run scored in the fourth game of his rehabilitation assignment.
- LF Charcer Burks (.179) and 1B Kelvin Freeman (.264) each recorded a hit while driving in a run.
- RHP Ethan Elias (1-0, 3.38) earned his first victory of the season, tossing 1.2 scoreless innings of relief while fanning three.