Minor League recap: 7/24/13
Cougars designated hitter Rock Shoulders is on a roll again. (Photo courtesy of Kane County Cougars)
Only Tennessee managed a win on Wednesday, snapping a three-game skid, while Iowa, Kane County and Boise ended up on the wrong side of the ledger. Daytona’s game was canceled due to unplayable conditions, and Mesa had the day off. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action.
Iowa Cubs (50-55)
Iowa dropped its fifth game in its last six contests, falling in 10 innings at home against New Orleans 2-1.
- 1B Brad Nelson (.265) went 3-for-5, recording his second straight multihit game.
- SS Donnie Murphy (.263) extended his hitting streak to 11 games, going 1-for-5 with one RBI (40). He’s hitting .275 (14-for-51) with seven RBI during the streak.
- RHP Eduardo Sanchez (3.70) allowed two hits while striking out four in two scoreless innings of relief. He hasn’t allowed a run in his last six appearances (7.0 IP).
Tennessee Smokies (19-12)
Tennessee snapped its three-game losing streak with a 6-1 victory at Huntsville.
- SS Javier Baez (.219) homered for the second straight game, going 2-for-5 with two runs scored, a double (3), the home run and one RBI (11).
- 1B Justin Bour (.240) went 2-for-4 with a walk, a double (10), a home run and one RBI (36).
- C Rafael Lopez (.229) went 1-for-2 with a second-inning solo home run.
- RF Rubi Silva (.278) extended his hitting streak to 10 games, going 1-for-4 with a double (22) and one RBI (41). He’s hitting .300 (12-for-40) during the streak.
- RHP Tony Zych (2.88) worked a scoreless ninth inning. He hasn’t allowed a run in his last 10 appearances (9.2 IP).
Kane County Cougars (7-23)
Kane County lost its second straight contest, falling at Beloit 5-1.
- DH Rock Shoulders (.252) went 2-for-4, extending his hitting streak to three games.
- RF Reggie Golden (.248) went 2-for-4 with a double (6) and one RBI (14). He has recorded an RBI in four straight games (five total).
- RHP Scott Baker was dealt the loss in his third rehab start with the Cougars. He has allowed 13 runs on 17 hits in 8.2 innings of work this season.
Boise Hawks (1-1)
Boise had its three-game winning streak snapped with a 5-1 loss at Eugene.
- 1B Jacob Rogers (.299) went 2-for-4, recording his third straight multihit game.
- 3B Kris Bryant (.111) went 1-for-4 with his first double of the season.
- CF Jacob Hannemann (.288) extended his hitting streak to six games, going 1-for-5 with a run and a double (4).
- 2B Daniel Lockhart (.311) was 1-for-4. He’s hitting .327 (34-for-104) with 13 RBI against right-handed pitchers.