Minor League recap: 7/25/13
Javier Baez continued his home run streak Thursday. (Aldrin Capulong/Daytona Cubs)
Iowa, Tennessee, Daytona and Kane County all picked up wins Thursday, while Boise lost a one-run game and errors proved costly for Mesa. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action.
Iowa Cubs (51-55)
Iowa split the four-game series against New Orleans with a 4-3 victory.
- RHP Jake Arrieta picked up the win, going 6.2 innings with one earned run and eight strikeouts.
- SS Donnie Murphy (.264) extended his hitting streak to 12 games, going 1-for-3 with a walk, a run scored and a double (16). He’s hitting .278 (15-for-54) with seven RBI during the streak.
- 3B Josh Vitters (.289) went 1-for-2 with one RBI (11).
- RHP Brian Schlitter (3.04) converted his 13th save of the campaign, allowing two runs on two hits in the ninth.
Tennessee Smokies (20-12)
Tennessee used a four-run seventh inning to beat host Huntsville 10-5.
- SS Javier Baez (.229) homered for the third straight game (four total), going 2-for-6 with two runs scored, two home runs and a season-high four RBI (15).
- 1B Justin Bour (.244) went 2-for-5 with a seventh-inning solo home run.
- RF Rubi Silva (.280) extended his hitting streak to 11 games, going 2-for-4 with a walk, two runs scored, a home run and one RBI (42). He’s hitting .318 (14-for-44) during the streak.
- RHP Marcos Mateo (1-0, 0.00) earned his first win of the season, tossing 1.2 scoreless innings and fanning three.
Daytona Cubs (17-12-1)
Daytona won its second straight, beating host Palm Beach 6-5.
- 3B-1B Ben Carhart (.251) went 2-for-5 with two RBI (45).
- C Chadd Krist (.231) was 2-for-3 with a double (8) and one RBI (22).
- LF Taiwan Easterling (.214) extended his hitting streak to three games, going 2-for-4 with a run scored and a double (10).
- LHP Jeffrey Lorick (3-0, 3.00) struck out three in three scoreless innings of relief to earn his third win of the year.
Kane County Cougars (8-23)
Kane County recorded a season-high 21 hits in an 11-8 victory on the road against Beloit.
- CF Albert Almora (.333) recorded his third, four-hit game of the season, going 4-for-5 with a walk, a run scored and two doubles (16).
- DH Rock Shoulders (.258) went 3-for-5 with three runs scored, a double (18), a home run and three RBI (50).
- C Willson Contreras (.248) and SS Marco Hernandez (.251) each recorded a season-high four hits.
- RHP Justin Amlung (4-4, 4.68) earned his fourth win of the season, allowing one unearned in two innings of relief.
Boise Hawks (1-2)
Boise managed just six hits in a 5-4 loss at Eugene.
- RF Yasiel Balaguert (.273) went 2-for-4 with a double (9) and one RBI (28).
- CF Jacob Hannemann (.290) extended his hitting streak to seven games, going 1-for-3 with two RBI (5).
- LF-CF David Bote (.262) went 2-for-4 with a double (6), extending his hitting streak to seven games.
- RHP Duane Underwood (5.63) struck out four while tossing 3.0 scoreless innings of relief.
- Yesterday eight Boise Hawks were named to the South Division All-Star team: C Lance Rymel, INF Jacob Rogers, INF Daniel Lockhart and OF Yasiel Balaguert will start, while OF Shawon Dunston Jr., INF David Bote, RHP James Pugliese and RHP Tyler Bremer were voted in as reserves.
Mesa Cubs (13-14)
Mesa recorded three hits and committed four errors in a 7-3 loss to the visiting AZL Athletics.
- LHP David Villegas pitched four scoreless innings, surrendering two hits and striking out two.
- 3B Jesse Hodges (.224) went 1-for-3 with a sixth-inning two-run homer.
- CF Brett Jackson (.250) went 1-for-4 in his first game with Mesa.
- RHP Orbandy Rodriguez (0.00) struck out two in two scoreless innings of relief.