Minor League recap: 7/28/13
Javier Baez continued his home run binge, blasting two more Sunday. (Aldrin Capulong/Daytona Cubs)
The Cubs minor league affiliates played .500 ball Sunday, with Daytona, Kane County and Boise all picking up wins. Newcomer C.J. Edwards, acquired in the Matt Garza trade, made an impressive debut with Daytona, Javy Baez continues to crush the ball, and top draft pick Kris Bryant homered for the second time in three games. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action.
Iowa Cubs (51-58)
Iowa lost its third straight game, falling at Oklahoma City 4-3.
- RF Ty Wright (.261) recorded a season-high-tying three hits, going 3-for-4 with a run scored, three doubles (11) and one RBI (19).
- C Luis Flores (.189) went 2-for-4 with one RBI (13).
- DH Edgar Gonzalez (.293) registered his second multihit game in his last three games, going 2-for-4 with a run scored and one stolen base (1).
- RHP Chang-Yong Lim (0.00) tossed 2.0 scoreless innings of relief in his Iowa debut.
Tennessee Smokies (21-14, second half)
Visiting Birmingham used a 15-hit attack to defeat the Smokies 8-5.
- SS Javier Baez (.232) recorded his second multihomer game in his last four contests, going 2-for-5 with two runs scored, the two blasts and a season-high-tying four RBI (19).
- RF Rubi Silva (.287) extended his hitting streak to 14 games, going 2-for-4 with a double (23). He’s hitting .351 (20-for-57) during the streak.
- LF John Andreoli (.302) and CF Matt Szczur (.280) each recorded two hits.
- 3B Christian Villanueva (.264) went 1-for-2 with two walks, extending his hitting streak to seven games.
Daytona Cubs (20-12-1, second half)
Daytona won its fifth straight game, beating host Palm Beach 2-1.
- RHP C.J. Edwards made his Cubs debut and struck out the first seven batters he faced. He has allowed one earned run or fewer in eight straight starts dating back to his tenure with the Single-A Hickory Crawdads.
- LF Taiwan Easterling (.218) went 2-for-4 with a run scored. He has hit safely in five of his last six games.
- 2B Brad Zapenas (.211) snapped a five-game hitless skid, going 2-for-4 with a run scored.
- RHP Lendy Castillo (1-0, 1.80) struck out three while allowing an unearned run in 3.0 innings of relief to earn his first win of the campaign.
- RHP Austin Reed (4.25) worked a scoreless ninth inning to convert his third save of the season.
Kane County Cougars (10-24, second half)
Kane County used a four-run third inning to beat host Peoria 6-3.
- DH Rock Shoulders (.260) posted his second straight two-hit game, going 2-for-5 with a run scored, a double (20) and three RBI (53).
- 2B Giuseppe Papaccio (.244) and 3B Jeimer Candelario (.251) recorded two hits apiece.
- CF Albert Almora (.333) went 2-for-5 with a run scored, extending his hitting streak to five games.
- LHP Nathan Dorris (5-3, 2.66) struck out two in 2.0 scoreless innings of relief to pick up the win.
- RHP Armando Rivero (6.06) recorded five strikeouts in 2.0 innings to convert his first save of the season.
Boise Hawks (3-3, second half)
Boise recorded 10 hits in a 3-1 victory over visiting Spokane.
- 3B Kris Bryant (.174) homered for the second time in three games, finishing 1-for-3 with three RBI (6).
- RF Yasiel Balaguert (.280) and DH Jordan Hankins (.262) each recorded two hits.
- 2B Daniel Lockhart (.322) went 2-for-4 with a run scored. He has hit safely in five of his last six games.
- RHP Tyler Bremer (2.50) struck out the side in the ninth inning to convert his fourth save of the year.
Mesa Cubs (1-2, second half)
Mesa surrendered nine runs in the first three innings, falling at the AZL D-backs 12-3.
- LF Charcer Burks (.263) registered his second straight multihit game, going 2-for-4 with his first double of the year.
- 3B Jesse Hodges (.225) went 1-for-4 with a run scored, a double (2) and one RBI (12).
- DH Kevin Brown (.196) went 1-for-3 with a walk and two RBI (6).