Minor League recap: 7/29/13
Top draft pick Kris Bryant has driven in a run in three of his last four games. (Photo by Stephen Green)
Of the Cubs minor league affiliates, only Tennessee picked up a win yesterday, moving them back into first place in the Southern League’s North Division. But there was some good news. Scott Baker had an effective rehab start in Daytona, Dan Vogelbach mashed his 16th home run, and Kris Bryant continued to get his feet under him at Boise. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action.
Iowa Cubs (51-59)
Iowa lost its fourth straight game, falling at Oklahoma City 4-3.
- RF Ty Wright (.268) went 2-for-4 with a fourth-inning, solo home run.
- 2B Logan Watkins (.246) went 2-for-4 with a run scored and a double (18). He has hit safely in seven of his last eight games.
- 1B Edgar Gonzalez (.311) recorded his second straight two-hit game, going 2-for-4 with a stolen base (2).
- SS Donnie Murphy (.263) was 1-for-4 with a run scored, a triple (2) and one RBI (41). He has registered a hit in 14 of his last 15 contests.
Tennessee Smokies (22-14, second half)
Tennessee jumped back into first place with an 8-4 victory over visiting Birmingham.
- RF Rubi Silva (.287) extended his hitting streak to 15 games, going 1-for-4 with a run scored. He’s hitting .344 (21-for-61) during the streak.
- C Rafael Lopez (.245) went 2-for-3 with a walk, two runs scored, a double (20) and two RBI (33).
- 3B Christian Villanueva (.266) went 2-for-4 with a run scored, extending his hitting streak to eight games. He’s hitting .414 (12-for-29) during the streak.
- RHP Frank Batista (2.13) allowed an unearned run in 2.0 innings of relief. He’s holding right-handed hitters to a .161 batting average (9-for-56) this season.
Daytona Cubs (20-13-1, second half)
Daytona had its five-game winning streak snapped in a 5-0 loss at Fort Myers.
- RHP Scott Baker made his fourth rehab start (first with Daytona), tossing 3.1 innings of three-hit, two-run (one earned) ball and striking out two.
- RHP Pierce Johnson (2.90) made his first relief appearance of the season, striking out seven and allowing three runs in 4.0 innings of work.
- CF Zeke DeVoss (.250) recorded three of Daytona’s five hits, going 3-for-4 with two doubles (11).
- LF Taiwan Easterling (.218) went 1-for-4. He has hit safely in six of his last seven games.
Kane County Cougars (10-25, second half)
Kane County managed just four hits in a 14-1 setback at Peoria.
- DH Dan Vogelbach (.290) extended his hitting streak to five games with a sixth inning solo home run.
- 1B Rock Shoulders (.261) went 1-for-3. He has hit safely in seven of his last eight contests.
- LHP Al Yevoli (2.70) allowed a run on four hits in 2.1 innings of relief.
Boise Hawks (3-4, second half)
Boise recorded only two hits in a 5-2, 11-inning loss to Spokane.
- 3B Kris Bryant (.185) went 1-for-4 with a walk, a double (2) and one RBI (7). He has driven in a run in three of his last four games (seven total).
- LF Jose Dore (.200) went 1-for-4, extending his hitting streak to three games.
- RHP Loiger Padron (5.52) allowed one run while striking out four in 3.0 innings of relief.
- RHP Tyler Skulina tossed 3.0 scoreless innings in his second career start. He has allowed just two runs in 15.0 innings pitched.