Minor League recap: 7/30/13
Jae-Hoon Ha collected two extra-base hits in a losing effort for Iowa. (Photo by Stephen Green)
Kane County was powered by strong pitching efforts from Justin Amlung and Stephen Perakslis, and a big inning gave Boise all it needed Tuesday. Iowa, Tennessee, Daytona and Mesa were on the losing side of decisions. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action.
Iowa Cubs (51-60)
Iowa lost its fifth straight game, falling at Salt Lake, 5-4.
- CF Jae-Hoon Ha (.224) recorded Iowa’s lone multihit effort, going 2-for-4 with two runs scored, a double (6), a home run and two RBI (10).
- 1B Edwin Maysonet (.246) went 1-for-4 with a run scored, a double (6) and one RBI (24).
- LF Dave Sappelt (.246) snapped a five-game hitless skid, going 1-for-3 with a walk and a run scored.
- RHP Brian Schlitter (2.93) struck out two in a scoreless inning of work.
Tennessee Smokies (22-15)
Visiting Birmingham scored four runs in the top of the 13th inning to beat the Smokies 9-6.
- 1B Justin Bour (.245) reached base four times, going 3-for-6 with a walk, a run scored, a double (11) and one RBI (40). He has hit safely in eight of his last nine games.
- C Rafael Lopez (.251) posted his second straight multihit game, going 3-for-6 with a walk and a run scored.
- 2B Arismendy Alcantara (.275) went 2-for-5 with two walks, a double (29) and two RBI (57).
- RF Brett Jackson (.300) went 2-for-6 with a walk and one RBI (1).
- RHP Tony Zych (2.89) struck out two in a season-high 2.2 scoreless innings of relief. He owns a 0.84 ERA (ER/10.2 IP) in 10 July relief appearances.
Daytona Cubs (20-14-1)
Daytona dropped its second straight, falling at Fort Myers 5-2.
- 1B Anthony Giansanti (.244) went 2-for-4 with a walk and a fifth-inning solo home run.
- LF Taiwan Easterling (.219) went 1-for-4 with a run scored. He has hit safely in seven of his last eight games.
- RHP Dayan Diaz (2.45) struck out a season-high seven hitters in 3.0 scoreless innings of relief.
- LHP Jeffrey Lorick (2.90) extended his scoreless innings streak to 8.0 with a spotless ninth inning of work.
Kane County (11-25)
Kane County scored two runs over the final two frames to beat visiting Wisconsin 4-2.
- RHP Justin Amlung pitched three scoreless innings, striking out three.
- RF Reggie Golden (.252) went 1-for-4 with a second-inning solo home run. Five of his six homers this season have been solo shots.
- C Carlos Escobar (.258) registered his seventh multihit game, going 2-for-3 with a walk and two runs scored.
- LHP Nathan Dorris (6-3, 2.81) allowed two runs on six hits in 4.0 innings of relief to earn his sixth win of the year.
- RHP Stephen Perakslis (3.23) tossed 2.0 scoreless innings to convert his fourth save. He hasn’t allowed a run in his last five appearances (7.1 IP).
Boise Hawks (4-4)
Boise used a five-run sixth inning to defeat visiting Spokane 5-3.
- 3B Kris Bryant (.226) recorded his first professional multihit game, going 2-for-4 with a run scored and his third double of the campaign. He has hit safely in five straight contests.
- 1B Jacob Rogers (.283) and C Cael Brockmeyer (.319) each recorded two hits.
- RHP Zack Godley (2-0, 0.69) allowed a run on three hits in 2.0 innings of work to earn his second win of the year.
- RHP Scott Frazier (1.72) converted his first save of the season with 3.0 scoreless innings of relief. He’s holding right-handed hitters to a .138 batting average (4-for-29).
Mesa Cubs (1-3)
Mesa managed just three hits in an 8-0 setback against the visiting AZL Angels.
- CF Charcer Burks (.268) went 1-for-3 with a walk, extending his hitting streak to three games.
- RF Jeffrey Baez (.273) went 1-for-4, extending his hitting streak to five games.
- RHP Orbandy Rodriguez (0.00) struck out four in 2.0 scoreless innings of relief. He hasn’t allowed a run in four appearances with Mesa (6.0 IP).