Minor League recap: 7/31/13
Christian Villanueva’s bat has been heating up of late. (Photo by Stephen Green)
Javier Baez boosted Tennessee to a victory with another blast, and Elliot Soto’s RBI single gave Daytona a win. Kane County and Mesa also came out on top Wednesday night. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action.
Iowa Cubs (51-61)
Iowa lost its sixth straight game, falling at Salt Lake 6-3. The Cubs fell a season-worst 10 games under .500 while dropping their ninth consecutive road game.
- CF Jae-Hoon Ha (.235) posted his second straight two-hit contest, going 2-for-3 with a walk and a run scored.
- C J.C. Boscan (.251) went 2-for-3 with a walk, a run scored, a double (9) and one RBI (18).
- LF Darnell McDonald (.218) was 2-for-4 with a run scored, a double (10) and one RBI (23).
- RHP Marcos Mateo (0.00) struck out three while tossing 1.1 scoreless innings of relief in his Iowa debut.
Tennessee Smokies (23-15)
Tennessee jumped back into first place with a 3-2 victory over visiting Birmingham.
- SS Javier Baez (.221) went 1-for-3 with a third-inning two-run homer. His 11 July homers tied him for first in all of Double-A baseball.
- 3B Christian Villanueva (.263) was 1-for-3 with a double (27). He has hit safely in nine of his last 10 games.
- LHP Jeffry Antigua (1-0, 3.38) worked 2.2 scoreless innings of relief to earn his first win of the season.
- RHP Frank Batista (2.44) converted his 14th save of the campaign with a scoreless ninth. He’s holding right-handed hitters to a .191 batting average (22-for-115).
Daytona Cubs (21-14-1)
Daytona’s Elliot Soto ripped an RBI single in the top of the ninth to lift the Cubs over Fort Myers 2-1.
- RHP Ivan Pineyro pitched six scoreless innings, striking out seven, walking none and surrendering three hits.
- DH Dustin Geiger (.284) went 1-for-4 with a fourth-inning solo home run.
- SS Elliot Soto (.243) finished 1-for-4 with a walk and the game-winning RBI (9).
- 1B Anthony Giansanti (.268) posted a season-high three hits, going 3-for-4 with a double (2).
- RF Pin-Chieh Chen (.260) went 3-for-3 with a run scored.
- RHP Austin Reed (2-0, 4.25) allowed one run on one hit in 2.0 innings of relief to earn his second win of the year.
- LHP Frank Del Valle (2.70) converted his seventh save with a scoreless ninth.
Kane County Cougars (12-25)
Kane County won its second straight, beating visiting Wisconsin 6-3.
- RHP Felix Pena went seven innings, allowing one earned run.
- 1B Rock Shoulders (.263) clubbed his team-leading 17th homer of the campaign. He has registered multihit efforts in five of his last eight games.
- 3B Jeimer Candelario (.255) went 2-for-4 with an eighth-inning two-run homer.
- 2B Gioskar Amaya (.270) snapped a three-game hitless skid, going 2-for-4 with a run scored, a double (22) and one RBI (25).
- LHP Sheldon McDonald (1-0, 0.87) earned his first win of the season with a scoreless eighth inning of work.
- RHP Michael Hamann (0.00) converted his fourth save while extending his scoreless innings streak to 9.0.
Boise Hawks (4-5)
Boise dropped a 7-4 decision at Everett. The Hawks have alternated wins and losses in seven straight games.
- 3B Kris Bryant (.229) went 1-for-4, extending his hitting streak to six games.
- RF Yasiel Balaguert (.278) went 2-for-4 with a run scored, a home run and three RBI (32).
- 1B Jacob Rogers (.290) recorded his second consecutive multihit game, going 2-for-3 with a walk, a run scored and one RBI (30).
- CF Kevin Encarnacion (.327) posted his second three-hit effort of the season, going 3-for-5 with a run scored.
Mesa Cubs (2-3)
Mesa defeated the visiting the AZL Giants 2-1.
- LHP Gerardo Concepcion pitched two innings, surrendering one hit. He had one strikeout and no earned runs.
- 1B Kelvin Freeman (.261) went 3-for-4 with a run scored and a season-high two doubles (3).
- RHP Josh Davis (3-0, 0.00) earned his team-leading third win, tossing 2.0 innings of relief. He hasn’t allowed a run in 8.1 innings of work with Mesa.
- LHP David Villegas (2.12) converted his fifth save of the year with a scoreless ninth.