Minor League recap: 8/1/13
Justin Bour led the attack for Tennessee Thursday. (Photo by Rodger Wood)
Tennessee picked up the victory in walk-off fashion Thursday, while Kane County continued its winning streak. Meanwhile, Iowa extended its losing skid to seven games, and neither Boise nor Mesa came out on top. Daytona was off due to rain. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action.
Iowa Cubs (51-62)
Iowa lost its season-high seventh game in a row, falling at Salt Lake 9-3. The Cubs have dropped 10 straight games on the road.
- 1B Edgar Gonzalez (.321) went 2-for-4 with a walk, a home run and two RBI (9).
- SS Donnie Murphy (.265) posted his third three-hit game of the year, going 3-for-5 with a double (18).
- CF Jae-Hoon Ha (.236) extended his hitting streak to four games, going 1-for-4 with a double (7) and one RBI (11).
Tennessee Smokies (24-15)
Tennessee defeated visiting Birmingham 2-1 in walk-off fashion.
- RHP Kyle Hendricks gave up one run over six innings, striking out four. He owns a 0.84 ERA (4 ER/43.0 IP) with 36 strikeouts in his last seven starts. He hasn’t allowed a home run during that stretch.
- 1B Justin Bour (.243) went 1-for-2 with two walks and a seventh-inning solo home run. He has clubbed seven homers in his last 13 games after hitting just eight in his first 41 contests with the Smokies.
- RF John Andreoli (.291) went 1-for-4 with a game-winning RBI single in the bottom of the ninth inning.
- LHP Hunter Cervenka (3-1, 4.13) tossed a season-high 3.0 scoreless innings of relief to earn his third victory of the campaign. Left-handed hitters are just 4-for-37 (.108) with 15 strikeouts against him.
Kane County Cougars (13-25)
Kane County won its third straight game, beating visiting Wisconsin 6-2.
- LF Oliver Zapata (.248) and RF Jose Dore (.333) both hit solo home runs.
- DH Rock Shoulders (.266) recorded his second-straight multihit game (16th overall), going 2-for-3 with a walk, a double (21) and two RBI (57).
- CF Albert Almora (.326) went 2-for-4 with a run scored and one RBI (23).
- LHP Andrew McKirahan (1-0, 4.50) struck out three in a season-high 2.0 scoreless innings to earn his first win.
- RHP Armando Rivero (5.40) fanned four in 2.0 innings of work. He’s punched out 14 hitters in his last 6.0 IP.
Boise Hawks (4-6)
Boise managed just five hits in a 5-1 loss at Everett.
- 3B Kris Bryant (.237) went 1-for-3, extending his hitting streak to seven games.
- 1B Jacob Rogers (.291) went 1-for-3 with a walk and an eighth inning solo home run.
- SS Daniel Lockhart (.309) recorded Boise’s lone multihit effort, going 2-for-4 with two stolen bases (4).
- RHP Jasvir Rakkar (4.32) worked a spotless ninth inning. He’s holding left-handed hitters to a .184 batting average (7-for-38) this season.
Mesa Cubs (2-4)
Mesa dropped a 3-2 decision on the road to the AZL Athletics.
- RF Rashad Crawford (.218) went 2-for-4.
- 2B Mark Malave (.246) snapped a three-game hitless skid, going 2-for-3 with one RBI (4).
- RHP Ryan Searle (0.00) struck out one in 2.0 scoreless innings in his first start of the season.