Minor League recap: 8/4/13
Brett Jackson had a pair of hits for Tennessee. (Photo by Stephen Green)
Iowa finally snapped its ugly losing streak behind a strong outing from right-hander Jake Arrieta, Boise overcame a four-run deficit and Mesa made it back-to-back wins Sunday. Tennessee and Kane County were both on the losing end however while Daytona’s game was postponed due to excessive flooding. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action.
Iowa Cubs (52-64)
Iowa snapped its 12-game road losing skid, outslugging host Tacoma 8-4.
- RHP Jake Arrieta gave up two hits, no runs and struck out 11 in five innings.
- LF Darnell McDonald (.222) went 3-for-5 with a double (12) and a team-high three runs scored.
- CF Jae-Hoon Ha (.252) extended his hitting streak to a season-high seven games (.407/11-for-27), going 3-for-5 with a double (8), two runs scored and a team-high three RBI (14).
- 3B Mike Olt (.198) went 2-for-5 with a double (16), a triple (1) and two RBI (34).
- 2B Dan Lockhart (.400) went 2-for-5 with a double (1) in his first game with Iowa.
- C J.C. Boscan (.253) was 2-for-4 with a run scored.
Tennessee Smokies (24-18)
Tennessee dropped its third straight game, surrendering six first-inning runs in a 10-4 loss at Jacksonville.
- SS Javier Baez (.243) posted his second-straight, multihit game and his eighth overall, going 3-for-4 with a double (5), two RBI (23) and a stolen base (3).
- CF Brett Jackson (.261) went 2-for-4 with a team-high two runs scored.
- LHP Jeff Antigua (2.16) scattered two hits and a walk, while fanning one in 3.0 scoreless innings of relief.
Kane County Cougars (14-27)
Kane County allowed three runs in the first inning, one in the third and seven in the seventh, falling at Clinton 11-1.
- 3B Giuseppe Papaccio (.259) went 3-for-3.
- LF Jose Dore (.222) went 1-for-2 with a double (1) and a RBI (2).
Boise Hawks (6-7)
Boise overcame a 5-1, fifth-inning deficit, rallying past host Everett 10-5. The Hawks collected 15 hits.
- 3B Kris Bryant (.292) extended his hitting streak to 10 games (.361/13-for-36), going 3-for-5 with two doubles (5), two runs scored and two RBI (11).
- RF Rony Rodriguez (.244) went 3-for-4 with two home runs, two runs scored and a team-high three RBI (11).
- CF David Bote (.239) reached base three times, going 2-for-4 with a walk and two runs scored.
- SS Carlos Penalver (.216) was 2-for-5.
- LHP Sam Wilson (3-0, 0.00) earned the win in relief, scattering two hits while fanning three in 2.0 scoreless innings. He’s allowed no earned runs in 13.0 innings (seven appearances).
Mesa Cubs (4-4)
Mesa won its second game in a row, beating the visiting AZL Athletics 7-3.
- 3B Jesse Hodges (.221) went 2-for-4 with a double (3) and two runs scored.
- DH Kelvin Freeman (.291) went 2-for-3 with a run scored.
- LF Charcer Burks (.260) was 2-for-4 with a run scored.
- RHP Orbandy Rodriguez (2-0, 0.00) earned the win in relief, allowing a hit while fanning three in 2.0 scoreless innings. He hasn’t been scored upon in 8.0 innings (five appearances).