Minor League recap: 8/5/13
Tony Zych continues to impress out of the bullpen. (Photo by Rodger Wood)
Mesa was the only squad to pick up a win Monday, as Iowa lost in walk-off fashion, Tennessee continued its losing streak and Kane County couldn’t wake up its bats. Daytona was rained out for the third day in a row while Boise is at the All-Star break. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action.
Iowa Cubs (52-65)
Tacoma’s Brad Bantz belted a walk-off, solo home run in the ninth inning to beat the Cubs, 6-5. Iowa has lost 10 of its last 11 games.
- LF Darnell McDonald (.233) recorded a season-high four hits, going 4-for-5 with a run scored, a double (13), a home run and one RBI (24).
- 1B Brad Nelson (.267) went 2-for-4 with a fifth-inning, solo home run.
- 2B Dan Lockhart (.444) posted his second straight multihit game, going 2-for-4 with a run scored and one stolen base (1).
- CF Jae-Hoon Ha (.252) extended his hitting streak to a season-high eight games, going 1-for-4 with a run scored and a double (9). He’s hitting .387 (12-for-31) during the streak.
Tennessee Smokies (24-19)
Tennessee dropped its fourth straight game, falling at Jacksonville, 6-4.
- SS Javier Baez (.252) registered his third straight multihit effort, going 2-for-4 with a walk, a double (6), one RBI (24) and a stolen base (4).
- RF John Andreoli (.301) went 3-for-4 with a double (9), two RBI (13) and one stolen base (9).
- 3B Christian Villanueva (.263) went 1-for-5 with a double (29), extending his hitting streak to four games.
- RHP Tony Zych (2.74) tossed 1.1-scoreless innings of relief. He’s holding right-handed hitters to a .206 batting average (22-for-107) this season.
Kane County Cougars (14-28)
Kane County managed just four hits in a 12-4 loss at Clinton.
- 3B Jeimer Candelario (.253) went 1-for-4 with a first-inning, solo home run.
- CF Oliver Zapata (.250) went 1-for-4, extending his hitting streak to five games.
- C Carlos Escobar (.243) snapped a three-game hitless skid, going 1-for-2 with a run scored and a double (7).
Mesa Cubs (5-4)
Mesa won its third game in a row, beating the visiting AZL Indians, 4-3.
- SS Francisco Sanchez (.221) went 2-for-4 with a double (6) and a RBI (18).
- LF Charcer Burks (.273) recorded his second-straight multihit game, going 2-for-5 with a stolen base (3).
- 1B Kelvin Freeman (.293) extended his hitting streak to six games, going 1-for-3 with a walk, a run scored and two RBI (9).
- LHP Tyler Ihrig (2-0, 0.79) earned the win in relief, allowing a hit while fanning one in 1.1 scoreless innings.
- RHP Brad Renner (0.00) converted his first save of the season with a scoreless ninth inning of work.