Minor League recap: 8/6/13
Edgar Gonzalez blasted three home runs for Iowa on Tuesday. (Photo by Stephen Green)
Iowa’s offense was powered by a strong effort from Edgar Gonzalez, Eric Jokisch was literally unhittable for Tennessee, Kane County’s bats came alive and Boise was well-represented in the Northwest League All-Star Game Tuesday. Meanwhile, Mesa had its winning streak snapped while Daytona had the day off. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action.
Iowa Cubs (53-65)
Iowa belted a season-high six home runs in a 10-3 victory at Tacoma.
- 2B Edgar Gonzalez (.324) went 5-for-6 with three home runs, three runs scored and four RBI (13). It was the I-Cubs first three-homer game since Ian Stewart accomplished the feat on June 8 vs. Round Rock. It was the I-Cubs first five-hit game since Alfredo Amezaga on April 15, 2012, at Round Rock.
- DH Ty Wright (.273) reached base four times, going 3-for-5 with a walk, a double (11) and two runs scored.
- LF Darnell McDonald (.236) went 2-for-6 with a homer, a run scored, two RBI (26) and a stolen base (8).
- RF Dave Sappelt (.240) went 2-for-6 with a homer, a run scored and two RBI (36).
- CF Jae-Hoon Ha (.250) extended his hitting streak to a season-high nine games (.361/13-for-36), going 1-for-5 with a walk and a run scored.
- RHP Nick Struck (6-8, 6.17) earned the win in relief, walking one and fanning one in 1.0 scoreless inning.
Tennessee Smokies (25-19)
Making his first start since being placed on the disabled list July 31 with arm fatigue, LHP Eric Jokisch tossed a no-hitter as Tennessee blanked host Jacksonville 10-0.
- LHP Eric Jokisch faced 31 batters, throwing 108 pitches, 69 for strikes. Of the 13 balls put into play, nine were groundouts and four fly outs. It marks Tennessee’s first no-hitter since Mark Holliman accomplished the feat in a seven-inning, 3-0 victory against Huntsville in 2007. Jokisch (.250) also went 2-for-4 with a walk, a run and an RBI (1) at the dish.
- SS Javier Baez (.273) recorded his fourth straight multihit effort, going 4-for-6 with two doubles (8), three runs scored, three RBI (27) and a stolen base (5).
- RF Rubi Silva (.288) reached base four times, going 3-for-5 with a walk, two runs scored and an RBI (45).
- CF Matt Szczur (2-for-5, BB, 2B, R), C Rafael Lopez (2-for-4, BB, R, RBI) and 2B Jonathan Mota (2-for-5, 2B, 2 RBI, SB) added two hits apiece.
Kane County Cougars (15-28)
Kane County collected 11 hits in a 6-2 victory at Clinton.
- 2B Gioskar Amaya (.269) went 3-for-5 with a double (23), two runs scored, an RBI (26) and a stolen base (12).
- CF Oliver Zapata (.253) reached base three times, going 2-for-4 with a walk, a homer, a run scored, three RBI (42) and a stolen base (11).
- C Carlos Escobar (.252) went 2-for-4 with a double (8) and a run scored.
Boise Hawks (6-7)
The South beat the North 8-7 in the Northwest League All-Star Game at Everett Memorial Stadium.
- 1B Jacob Rogers (1-for-3, RBI) was the lone Hawks position player to record a hit.
- C Lance Rymel went 0-for-2 with a run scored, SS Carlos Penalver and DH Yasiel Balaguert each went 0-for-2, and 2B David Bote went 0-for-1. Balaguert also competed in the Home Run Derby, hitting two homers.
- RHP James Pugliese secured a hold (0.2 IP, 1 K).
- RHP Tyler Bremer converted the save (0.1 IP, 1 K).
Mesa Cubs (5-5)
Mesa’s three-game winning streak came to an end, as the Cubs dropped a 2-1 pitchers’ duel at the AZL Dodgers.
- 1B Kevin Brown (.200) went 2-for-4 with a run scored.
- C Wilfredo Petit (.203) was 2-for-4 with a double (1) and an RBI (11).