Minor League recap: 8/7/13
Kane County captured its second win in a row, and a few big innings were enough for Mesa Wednesday. Meanwhile, Daytona couldn’t hold a lead while Iowa, Tennessee and Boise were all off. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action.
Daytona Cubs (22-15-1)
Daytona couldn’t hold a 5-2 seventh-inning lead, falling at Clearwater 6-5 in 10 innings.
- CF Zeke DeVoss (.259) reached base five times, going 3-for-4 with two walks, a double (14) and two runs scored.
- DH Anthony Giansanti (.278) reached base three times, going 2-for-4 with a walk and a stolen base (1).
- LF Pin-Chieh Chen (.277) reached base three times as well, going 2-for-4 with a walk and a run scored.
Kane County Cougars (16-28)
Kane County won its second game in a row, collecting 12 hits in a 7-4 victory over visiting Burlington.
- 3B Jeimer Candelario (.256) reached base three times, going 2-for-4 with a walk, a triple (1), a run and an RBI (45).
- C Carlos Escobar (.263) went 2-for-3 with a double (9) and a run scored.
- RF Jose Dore (.222) added two hits, going 2-for-3.
- LHP Sheldon McDonald (2-0, 1.42) picked up the win, tossing 2.2 innings of one-run, one-hit relief, while walking one and fanning four.
- RHP Stephen Perakslis (3.06) converted his fifth save, allowing one hit while fanning two in a scoreless ninth inning.
Mesa Cubs (6-5)
Mesa plated four runs in the third inning and seven more in the fifth, pounding the host AZL Brewers 11-4.
- LF Charcer Burks (.277) went 2-for-6 with a run scored.
- DH Kelvin Freeman (.307) reached base three times, going 2-for-2 with a walk, two runs scored and an RBI (10).
- C Alberto Mineo (.222) was 2-for-5 with a run scored and three RBI (7).
- RHP Erick Leal (2-2, 3.06) earned the win in relief, scattering four hits and a walk while fanning five in 4.1 scoreless innings.