Minor League recap: 8/8/13
Matt Szczur had a nice day at the plate for Tennessee. (Photo by Stephen Green)
Cubs affiliates went 5-0 yesterday, as Kyle Hendricks won his Triple-A debut for Iowa, Tennessee eked out a victory, Daytona blanked Clearwater behind a strong pitching effort from Pierce Johnson, Kane County racked up its third straight win, and Boise help off Vancouver. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action.
Iowa Cubs (54-65)
Iowa won its second game in a row, edging visiting Fresno 2-1 in a pitchers’ duel.
- RHP Kyle Hendricks struck out five over seven innings and gave up just four hits and no earned runs to pick up the win in his Triple-A debut.
- 1B Brad Nelson (.267) went 1-for-3 with a fourth-inning solo homer.
- RF Jae-Hoon Ha (.250) extended his hitting streak to 10 games (.350/14-for-40), going 1-for-4 with an RBI (15).
- RHP Alberto Cabrera (3.97) secured his second hold, walking one in a scoreless eighth frame.
- RHP Brian Schlitter (3.48) converted his 14th save, fanning two in a perfect ninth.
Tennessee Smokies (26-19)
Tennessee outlasted visiting Montgomery 9-8 for the team’s second straight victory.
- CF Matt Szczur (.283) went 4-for-5 with a double (22), a homer, four runs scored, an RBI (40) and a stolen base (21).
- Arismendy Alcantara (.269) reached base three times, going 2-for-4 with a walk, a run and a stolen base (26).
- RF Rubi Silva (.289) recorded his third straight multihit game, going 2-for-5 with two doubles (27), a run scored, an RBI (46) and a stolen base (13).
- RHP Tony Zych (3-4, 2.64) earned the win in relief, walking one and fanning one in 1.2 scoreless innings.
- RHP Frank Batista (2.68) converted his 15th save, allowing two runs on a hit and two walks while fanning one in 1.0 inning of relief.
Daytona Cubs (23-15-1)
Daytona hitters coaxed 10 walks, as the Cubs blanked host Clearwater 11-0.
- RHP Pierce Johnson gave up no earned runs and two hits over five innings, striking out six in the win.
- 1B Dustin Geiger (.287) reached base four times, going 3-for-4 with a walk, two homers, three runs scored and five RBI (76).
- DH Bijan Rademacher (.260) went 2-for-5 with two runs scored and two RBI (13).
- LF Anthony Giansanti (.286) reached base five times, going 1-for-1 with four walks, a triple (1), three runs scored and an RBI (8).
Kane County Cougars (17-28)
Kane County won its third straight game, limiting visiting Burlington to two hits in a 7-0 victory.
- RHP Starling Peralta fanned five hitters over 5.2 innings and gave up just one run.
- PH-SS Marco Hernandez (.246) went 2-for-2.
- DH Dan Vogelbach (.282) went 1-for-3 with a homer, two runs scored and three RBI (71).
- 1B Rock Shoulders (.259) reached base twice, going 1-for-3 with a walk, a double (23) and a run scored.
- RF Jose Dore (.238) reached base twice, going 1-for-3 with a walk and two RBI (4).
Boise Hawks (7-7)
Boise won its second game in a row, holding off visiting Vancouver 7-5.
- RF Yasiel Balaguert (.273) went 2-for-4 with a double (11), a homer, two runs scored and three RBI (35).
- DH Rony Rodriguez (.256) went 2-for-4 with an RBI (12).
- 3B Kris Bryant (.294) reached base twice, going 1-for-3 with a walk, a homer, two runs scored and an RBI (12).
- RHP Duane Underwood (2-3, 5.54) earned the win in relief, walking one and fanning two in 3.0 scoreless innings.
- RHP Tyler Bremer (2.29) converted his fifth save, fanning two in 0.2 innings of relief.