Minor League recap: 8/11/13
Dave Sappelt has hit the ball well of late for Iowa. (Photo by Stephen Green)
Daytona won its third straight behind a strong pitching performance by Corey Black and Mesa edged out a win Sunday. Boise split its doubleheader while Iowa had its winning streak snapped and errors cost Kane County. Tennessee was rained out. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action.
Iowa Cubs (56-66)
Iowa had its four-game winning streak snapped, falling to visiting Fresno, 4-1.
- CF Jae-Hoon Ha (.263) extended his hitting streak to 13 games (.365/19-for-52), going 1-for-4 with a RBI (18).
- LF Dave Sappelt (.241) went 1-for-4. He’s hit safely in four of his last five games.
- RHP Marcus Hatley (4.85) struck out two in a scoreless seventh inning of work.
- LHP Zach Rosscup (0.00) struck out the side in the eighth in his first game with Iowa.
Daytona Cubs (25-15-1)
Daytona won its third-straight game, beating the visiting Tampa Yankees, 5-4.
- RHP Corey Black tossed five scoreless innings, surrendering five hits and striking out four.
- DH Taiwan Easterling (.216) went 1-for-3 with a walk and a third-inning, solo home run.
- CF Zeke DeVoss (.260) posted his third, three-hit affair in his last five games, going 3-for-5 with a run scored and a stolen base (30).
- LF Anthony Giansanti (.290) went 3-for-5 with a run scored and two RBI (10).
- 2B Wes Darvill (.252) was 2-for-4 with a walk and a run scored.
- RHP Austin Reed (4.17) allowed an unearned run while striking out three in 3.0 innings of relief.
Kane County Cougars (17-31)
Kane County committed four errors in an 8-4 setback against visiting Cedar Rapids.
- DH Daniel Vogelbach (.282) reached base four times, going 1-for-2 with three walks.
- 1B Rock Shoulders (.255) snapped a two-game hitless skid, going 2-for-5 with a run scored.
- LF Reggie Golden (.235) recorded his 11th multihit game, going 2-for-5 with a double (7) and a RBI (19).
- 2B Giuseppe Papaccio (.247) went 1-for-4 with a walk, a double (4) and one RBI (4). He’s hit safely in six of his last seven games.
Boise Hawks (10-8)
GM 1: Boise won its fifth-straight game, beating the visiting Vancouver Canadians, 3-1.
- RHP Jose Rosario fanned five batters over five innings, surrendering three hits and an unearned run.
- 3B Kris Bryant (.328) extended his hitting streak to 14 games (.388/19-for-49), going 2-for-3 with a RBI (14). He’s driven in a run in six of his last seven games (seven total).
- RF Yasiel Balaguert (.283) went 2-for-4 with a run scored, extending his hitting streak to five games.
- RHP Jose Arias (1-0, 0.00) earned his first win of the season, tossing 3.0 scoreless innings of relief.
- RHP Tyler Bremer (2.18) converted his sixth save of the campaign with a scoreless ninth inning of work.
GM 2: Boise dropped the second game of the twin bill despite recording 15 hits, falling to Vancouver, 6-5.
- 3B Kris Bryant (.354) extended his hitting streak to 15 games (.415/22-for-53), going 3-for-4 with a double (8), a triple (1) and two RBI (16). He’s hitting .404 (21-for-52) since starting the year 1-for-12 in his first three games.
- LF Trevor Gretzky (.256) went 3-for-4 with a run scored and one RBI (6).
- CF Kevin Encarnacion (.337) recorded his third multihit game in his last four contests, going 3-for-5 with a run scored, a double (5) and two RBI (9).
- C Justin Marra (.192) was 2-for-5 with two runs scored and a double (2).
Mesa Cubs (7-7)
Mesa snapped its two-game losing skid with a 5-4 victory against the visiting AZL Rangers.
- DH Brian Bogusevic (.300) went 2-for-4 with a walk, two runs scored and one RBI (1) in the third game of a rehabilitation assignment.
- 3B Jesse Hodges (.210) went 1-for-5 with a team-high two RBI (14).
- RHP Orbandy Rodriguez (3-1, 0.87) picked up his third win of the season, allowing an unearned run while striking out two in 1.0 inning of work.