Minor League recap: 8/12/13
Tony Zych was strong again out of the bullpen for Tennessee. (Photo by Rodger Wood)
Justin Grimm was solid in a win for Iowa, Tennessee took both games in its doubleheader, Daytona continued its winning streak, Michael Heesch led Kane County to a victory and Mesa picked up a shutout win Monday. Meanwhile, Boise had the day off. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action.
Iowa Cubs (57-66)
Iowa won despite recording just five hits, beating visiting Sacramento, 2-1.
- RHP Justin Grimm picked up the win striking out six and allowing just one earned run over 5.1 innings.
- 3B Josh Vitters (.294) went 1-for-2 with a walk and a fourth-inning, solo home run.
- DH Mike Olt’s fifth-inning, solo home run proved to be the game-winner. He’s homered in two of his last five games after not recording a homer in his first 13 games as a Cub (.195).
- 2B Edgar Gonzalez (.311) extended his hitting streak to three games, going 2-for-4 with a double (7).
- RHP Brian Schlitter (3.24) converted his 16th save of the year, tossing 1.1-scoreless innings of relief.
Tennessee Smokies (29-20)
GM 1: Tennessee defeated visiting Montgomery 3-2 in the completion of Sunday night’s game.
- DH Javier Baez (.273) went 2-for-4 with a sixth-inning, solo home run.
- 1B Justin Bour (.226) went 1-for-4 with a double (13) and one RBI (48).
- LHP Eric Jokisch (10-10, 3.47) earned the win in relief, allowing two runs (one earned) on four hits in 6.1 innings. Yesterday, Jokisch was named the Southern League Pitcher of the Week for the period of August 5-11. He threw a no-hitter August 6 against Jacksonville, the Smokies’ first nine-inning no-hitter since Scot Elam in 1985.
- RHP Tony Zych (2.61) recorded the final two outs to convert his second save of the year.
GM 2: Tennessee scored six, first-innings runs for a 9-4 victory over Montgomery.
- 3B Christian Villanueva (.263) went 2-for-3 with two runs scored, a double (32), a home run and three RBI (60).
- 1B Jonathan Mota (.265) extended his hitting streak to five games, going 2-for-3 with a double (12), a home run and a season-high four RBI (33).
- DH Justin Bour (.230) and 2B Nate Samson (.346) each recorded multihit efforts.
- LHP Jeffry Antigua (2-0, 2.03) tossed 3.0 scoreless innings of relief to earn his second win of the season.
Daytona Cubs (26-15-1)
Daytona won its fourth straight game, beating visiting Tampa, 5-4.
- RHP Ivan Pineyro went six innings, surrendering one earned run and striking out two in the win.
- 1B Anthony Giansanti (.298) posted his second-straight, multihit game, going 2-for-4 with a double (2).
- LF Pin-Chieh Chen (.272) and 3B Ben Carhart (.249) each recorded two hits apiece.
- RF Bijan Rademacher (.278) extended his hitting streak to six games, going 1-for-4 with a run scored.
- LHP Jeffrey Lorick (3.25) converted his second save of the campaign, allowing just one hit in 2.0 scoreless innings of relief.
Kane County Cougars (18-31)
Kane County snapped its three-game losing skid, beating visiting Cedar Rapids, 4-3.
- LHP Michael Heesch gave up an unearned run over five innings, striking out one.
- 2B Giuseppe Papaccio (.259) and 3B Jeimer Candelario (.258) each recorded multihit games.
- 1B Dan Vogelbach (.284) went 2-for-4 with a run scored, extending his hitting streak to seven games.
- RF Reggie Golden (.237) and LF Rock Shoulders (.255) each drove in a run.
- LHP Andrew McKirahan (2-0, 2.25) tossed 2.0 scoreless innings of relief to earn his second win of the season.
Mesa Cubs (8-7)
Mesa held the visiting AZL Mariners two just two hits in a 7-0 victory.
- CF Brian Bogusevic (.286) went 1-for-4 with a double (1) and one RBI (2) in the fourth game of a rehabilitation assignment.
- RF Jeffrey Baez (.273) went 3-for-4 with two runs scored, a double (5), a triple (2) and one RBI (9).
- 1B Mark Malave (.271) was 2-for-3 with a team-high two RBI (11).
- 3B Jesse Hodges (.219) went 2-for-4 with a run scored, a triple (1) and one RBI (15).
- RHP Erick Leal picked up his third straight win, and has not allowed a run in his last two games (9.1 IP).