Minor League recap: 8/13/13
Edwin Maysonet racked up a few more RBI Tuesday for Iowa. (Photo by Stephen Green)
Tennessee continued its winning streak and Boise routed Eugene while Daytona split its Tuesday doubleheader. Meanwhile, walks cost Iowa in a defeat while Kane County and Mesa both had the day off. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action.
Iowa Cubs (57-67)
Iowa pitchers surrendered nine walks in a 6-4 loss to the visiting Sacramento River Cats.
- 2B Edgar Gonzalez (.316) posted his second straight multihit effort, going 2-for-5 with a RBI (14).
- C Chad Noble (.167) went 2-for-4 with a run scored and one RBI (1).
- SS Edwin Maysonet (.216) recorded his sixth, multi-RBI game of the season, going 1-for-4 with a run scored, a double (9) and two RBI (27).
- RHP Marcus Hatley (4.55) walked and struck out three hitters in 2.0 scoreless innings of relief. He’s holding right-handed hitters to a .188 batting average (12-for-64).
Tennessee Smokies (30-20)
Tennessee won its fourth-straight game, beating visiting Chattanooga, 4-1.
- RHP Eduardo Figueroa pitched five scoreless innings, striking out one in the win.
- 3B Christian Villanueva (.266) went 2-for-3 with a walk, a run scored and his Southern League-leading 33rd double of the campaign.
- CF Matt Szczur (.283) was 2-for-3 with a walk and a run scored. He’s hit safely in eight of his last nine contests.
- RF Rubi Silva (.288) went 1-for-4 with a team-high two RBI (48). He’s sporting a .346 batting average (44-for-127) against left-handed pitchers.
- LHP Hunter Cervenka (3.58) allowed a hit while striking out three in 2.0 scoreless innings of relief. He hasn’t allowed a run in his last four appearances (7.1 IP).
Daytona Cubs (27-16-1)
GM 1: Daytona won its fifth straight game, beating visiting Clearwater, 5-0.
- RHP Pierce Johnson picked up the win, striking out seven and allowing no earned runs over 5.2 innings. He hasn’t allowed a run over his last two starts (10.2 IP).
- DH Dan Vogelbach (.667) homered in his Daytona debut, going 2-for-3 with two runs scored, a home run and two RBI (2).
- LF Anthony Giansanti (.308) posted his third-straight, multi-hit effort, going 2-for-3 with a RBI (11).
- CF Zeke DeVoss (.263) extended his hitting streak to four games, going 1-for-2 with a walk, a run scored, one RBI (47) and his team-leading 32nd stolen base of the year.
- RHP Armando Rivero (2.70) recorded the final four outs of the contest to convert his first save of the year.
GM 2: Daytona couldn’t complete the doubleheader sweep, falling to Clearwater, 3-2.
- 3B Kris Bryant (.333) also homered in his Daytona debut, going 1-for-3 with a fourth-inning, solo shot. He’s hit safely in 16-straight games (15-straight with Boise).
- 2B Wes Darvill (.255) went 2-for-3 with a run scored and one stolen base (5).
- C Yaniel Cabezas (.240) extended his hitting streak to six games, going 1-for-2 with a walk, a double (4) and one RBI (8).
Boise Hawks (11-8)
Boise set a season-high in runs with a 12-1 rout of the visiting Eugene Emeralds. The Hawks have won six of their last seven games.
- RF Yasiel Balaguert (.289) clubbed his league-leading seventh home run, going 2-for-3 with two walks, three runs scored, a double (14), the home run and three RBI (38).
- LF David Bote (.251) went 3-for-4 with a walk, two runs scored, two doubles (8), a season-high four RBI (24) and one stolen base (4).
- 3B Jordan Hankins (.257) was 3-for-5 with a run scored, a double (5) and one RBI (8).
- 2B Daniel Lockhart (.297) and 1B Jacob Rogers (.284) each recorded two hits. Rogers also drew three walks, reaching base five times during the game.
- RHP Paul Blackburn (1-2, 3.09) earned his first win of the year, tossing 3.0 shutout innings of relief.
- RHP Trey Masek (1.20) struck out three in 2.0 scoreless innings of work.