Minor League recap: 8/15/13
Righty C.J. Edwards, acquired in the Matt Garza trade, has been lights out for Daytona. (Photo by Stephen Green)
The Cubs’ minor league affiliates went 3-3 Thursday, with Tennessee, Kane County and Boise all picking up victories. Smokies shortstop Javier Baez continues to crush the ball, top draft pick Kris Bryant is on a roll, and new acquisition C.J. Edwards has been nearly unhittable. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action.
Iowa Cubs (58-68)
The visiting Sacramento River Cats recorded 12 hits in 9-1 victory over the Iowa Cubs.
- SS Edwin Maysonet (.225) went 2-for-4 with a run scored and his 10th double of the season.
- CF Julio Borbon (.294) was 1-for-3 with a double (1) and an RBI (1).
- RF Jae-Hoon Ha (.261) went 1-for-4, extending his hitting streak to three games. He’s hitting .316 (18-for-57) in 14 August games.
Tennessee Smokies (32-20)
Tennessee won its fifth-straight game, beating visiting Chattanooga 4-3.
- SS Javier Baez (.288) went 2-for-4 and extended his hitting streak to five games with an eighth-inning solo home run. After posting a .228 batting average in July, Baez is hitting .397 (23-for-58) with eight doubles, two home runs and 14 RBI in August.
- 3B Christian Villanueva (.269) went 1-for-4 and registered his league-leading 36th double of the season. He leads the Smokies with 204 total bases.
- 1B Justin Bour (.235) recorded his 10th multi-RBI effort, going 2-for-4 with a run scored and two RBI (52).
- RHP A.J. Morris (4-2, 5.18) tossed 1.1 scoreless innings of relief to earn his fourth win of the campaign.
- RHP Frank Batista (2.67) converted his 16th save of the year with a scoreless ninth inning of work.
Daytona Cubs (28-18-1)
Clearwater scored three runs in the seventh inning to beat host Daytona 4-2.
- 3B Kris Bryant (.308) went 2-for-4 with one RBI (3). He’s hit safely in three of his first four games with Daytona.
- SS Elliot Soto (.223) snapped a three-game hitless skid, going 1-for-4 with an RBI (15).
- DH Dan Vogelbach (.250) went 1-for-4 with a run scored and a double (1).
- RHP C.J. Edwards has not allowed more than two hits in any of his four starts with Daytona this season (14.2 IP). He has struck out 20 hitters compared to just five walks.
Kane County Cougars (19-32)
Kane County won despite recording just three hits, beating host Burlington 1-0.
- SS Marco Hernandez (.252) went 1-for-3 with a second-inning solo home run.
- 1B Rock Shoulders (.255) went 1-for-4, extending his hitting streak to four games.
- LHP Rob Zastryzny (1-0, 0.00) recorded his first professional victory, tossing 3.0 scoreless innings of relief and fanning four.
- RHP Stephen Perakslis (2.94) converted his sixth save of the year with a perfect ninth inning of work.
Boise Hawks (13-8)
Boise won for the eighth time in nine games, beating visiting Eugene 8-3.
- C Lance Rymel (.254) went 1-for-4 with a third-inning two-run homer.
- SS Carlos Penalver (.253) extended his hitting streak to a season-high 10 games, going 2-for-3 with a walk, two runs scored and a double (12). He’s hitting .432 (16-for-37) during the streak.
- CF Kevin Encarnacion (.344) went 1-for-3 with two walks, a run scored, two RBI (16) and a stolen base (6).
- RHP Dillon Maples won his fifth-straight start while punching out a season-high nine hitters. He hasn’t surrendered a home run in 28.0 innings with Boise.
Mesa Cubs (9-8)
Mesa couldn’t keep pace with the AZL Padres, as it dropped a 9-7 decision on the road.
- CF Brian Bogusevic (.286) went 1-for-2 with three walks, two runs scored, a double (3) and one stolen base (2) in the sixth game of a rehabilitation assignment.
- RF Jeffrey Baez (.286) and C Erick Castillo (.270) each recorded two hits apiece.
- 3B Greg Rohan (.286) reached base four times, going 2-for-3 with two walks and two RBI (4).