Minor League recap: 8/18/13
Julio Borbon was solid at the plate for Iowa Sunday. (Photo by Stephen Green)
Tennessee and Daytona both made the most of big innings to secure wins Sunday, but Iowa, Kane County and Boise all were on the wrong end of the scoreboard. Meanwhile, Mesa had the day off. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action.
Iowa Cubs (58-71)
Iowa lost its fourth-straight, falling at New Orleans, 4-3 in 16 innings.
- CF Brian Bogusevic (.317) went 1-for-5 with a walk in the eighth game (first with Iowa) of a rehabilitation assignment.
- 1B Brad Nelson (.262) went 1-for-7 with a first-inning, two-run homer.
- LF Julio Borbon (.321) reached base five times, going 3-for-6 with two walks, a run scored and one stolen base (2).
- SS Edwin Maysonet (.240) extended his hitting streak to six games, going 3-for-7 with a run and a double (11).
- RHP’s Brian Schlitter (2.97) and Eduardo Sanchez (3.50) each tossed 2.0 scoreless innings of relief.
Tennessee Smokies (34-21)
Tennessee scored four runs in the ninth inning to beat host Birmingham, 5-2.
- RHP Eduardo Figueroa tossed six scoreless innings, striking out five and walking just one.
- C Rafael Lopez (.260) went 2-for-4 with a run scored, a double (21) and a season-high four RBI (39).
- 3B Jonathan Mota (.274) extended his hitting streak to eight games, going 2-for-4 with a double (13) and a RBI (38). He’s hitting .522 (12-for-23) with two home runs and 12 RBI during the streak.
- RHP Tony Zych (4-4, 2.42) tossed 2.0 scoreless innings of relief to earn his second win of the season. He hasn’t allowed a run in his last seven appearances (10.0 IP).
Daytona Cubs (30-19-1)
Daytona used a five-run, seventh inning to beat visiting Brevard County, 5-3.
- 3B Kris Bryant (.360) went 1-for-3 with a walk and a seventh-inning, solo home run. He’s hit safely in six of his first seven games with Daytona.
- DH Dan Vogelbach (.296) went 1-for-4 with a seventh-inning, two-run homer.
- CF Zeke DeVoss (.258) went 2-for-4 with a run scored and a double (16).
- RHP Scott Baker allowed one run on three hits in 3.0 innings of work.
- RHP Pierce Johnson (6-1, 2.36) won his third-straight decision, allowing two runs on three hits while fanning six in 4.0 innings of relief.
- RHP Austin Reed (4.40) converted his fourth save of the season with a scoreless ninth inning.
Kane County Cougars (20-34)
Kane County dropped a 4-2 decision at home against the Clinton LumberKings.
- LF Jose Dore (.227) went 3-for-4 with a double (2) and two RBI (8).
- CF Oliver Zapata (.247) went 1-for-4, extending his hitting streak to three games.
- SS Marco Hernandez (.252) extended his hitting streak to seven games with a 1-for-4 performance.
- LHP Nathan Dorris (3.00) worked 2.0 spotless frames, extending his scoreless innings streak to 7.0 IP.
Boise Hawks (14-10)
- PH-C Lance Rymel (.268) went 2-for-2 with a double (7).
- 3B David Bote (.251) and CF Kevin Encarnacion (.330) each recorded a hit while driving in a run.
- SS Carlos Penalver (.258) went 1-for-3 with a walk and a double (13). He’s hit safely in four of his last five games.