Minor League recap: 8/19/13
Casey Coleman pitched well for Iowa despite not earning the win. (Photo by Stephen Green)
Tennessee racked up 17 hits and scored nine runs en route to a win Monday, but the Smokies were the only minor league team in the organization that came away victorious. Meanwhile, Daytona had the day off. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action.
Iowa Cubs (58-72)
Iowa lost its fifth straight, falling at New Orleans 3-2.
- RF Dave Sappelt (.242) went 1-for-4 with an RBI (37) and one stolen base (3). He has hit safely in six of his last seven games.
- 3B Mike Olt (.122) snapped a five-game hitless skid, going 1-for-3 with a walk.
- C Luis Flores (.214) went 1-for-2 with a walk to extend his hitting streak to six games.
- RHP Casey Coleman gave up one earned run on five hits over six innings, striking out three. He owns a 0.82 ERA (1 ER/11.0 IP) in his last two starts.
Tennessee Smokies (35-21)
Tennessee used a 17-hit outburst to rout host Birmingham 9-2.
- SS Javier Baez (.298) recorded his 10th multihit game of the month, going 3-for-4 with a walk and two doubles (14). He’s hitting .397 (29-for-73) with 11 doubles, three home runs and 17 RBI in August.
- 2B Arismendy Alcantara (.268) went 2-for-5 with a double (31) and a sixth-inning solo home run.
- CF Rubi Silva (.288) reached base five times, going 3-for-3 with two walks, two runs scored, a double (28), a triple (8) and two RBI (50).
- 1B Justin Bour (.244) extended his hitting streak to nine games, going 2-for-4 with a walk, a run scored and a double (15). He’s hitting .371 (13-for-35) during the streak.
- LF Matt Szczur (.281) and RF John Andreoli (.295) both posted multihit efforts.
Kane County Cougars (20-35)
Visiting Clinton used a four-run, first inning to roll past the Cougars 9-2.
- 3B Jeimer Candelario (.253) went 2-for-4 with a run scored and a double (32).
- 1B Rock Shoulders (.253) recorded his 18th multi-RBI game of the season, going 1-for-4 with two RBI (65).
- SS Giuseppe Papaccio (.260) went 1-for-4. He has hit safely in five of his last six games.
- RHP Justin Amlung (4.14) and LHP Al Yevoli (4.73) each tossed 2.0 scoreless innings of relief.
Boise Hawks (14-11)
Boise dropped its third straight, falling at Tri-City 6-3.
- 1B Jacob Rogers (.278) snapped a two-game hitless skid, going 1-for-2 with a walk and an RBI (39).
- CF Kevin Encarnacion (.327) went 1-for-4 with a run. He has hit safely in seven of his last eight games.
- 2B Dan Lockhart (.293) extended his hitting streak to four games, going 1-for-3 with an RBI (17).
- RHP Zack Godley (2.08) struck out three in 2.0 scoreless innings of relief. He hasn’t allowed a home run in 21.2 innings of work with Boise this season.
Mesa Cubs (11-9)
Mesa dropped a 5-4 decision at the AZL Athletics.
- LF Charcer Burks (.283) and CF Jeffrey Baez (.296) each recorded two hits.
- 1B Kevin Brown (.229) went 1-for-3 with two walks, a double (4) and a team-high three RBI (12).
- RHP Trevor Clifton (8.53) struck out two in 2.0 scoreless innings of work.