Cubs Minor League recap: 8/22/13
Arismendy Alcantara ripped a double Thursday. (Photo by Rodger Wood)
Boise fell behind by eight runs early, but still managed to pull off a win. Unfortunately, the Hawks were the only side to come away victorious Thursday. Iowa fell in the ninth, Tennessee couldn’t muster much offense despite a strong outing from LHP Eric Jokisch, Kane County got shut out, and Mesa continued its losing streak. Meanwhile, Daytona was rained out again. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action.
Iowa Cubs (59-74)
Visiting Memphis scored two runs in the top of the ninth inning to beat the Cubs 4-3.
- RHP Justin Grimm gave up two earned runs over six innings, striking out four.
- 1B Brad Nelson (.269) recorded a season-high in hits, going 4-for-4.
- RF Dave Sappelt (.237) went 1-for-5 with a fourth-inning solo home run.
- PH Ty Wright (.266) went 1-for-1 with a pinch-hit RBI (31) single.
- RHP Marcos Mateo (1.59) struck out a season-high four in 2.0 scoreless innings of relief.
Tennessee Smokies (36-23)
Tennessee managed just four hits in a 4-2 loss at Birmingham.
- SS Javier Baez (.306) went 1-for-4 with a run scored. He’s hitting .400 (34-for-85) in 21 August games.
- SS Arismendy Alcantara (.271) went 1-for-4 with a double (34) and one RBI (66).
- LF John Andreoli (.294) went 1-for-3 with a run scored and a triple (2) to extend his hitting streak to five games.
- LHP Eric Jokisch was dealt the loss despite tossing his fourth-straight quality start. He’s 2-2 with a 2.15 ERA (7 ER/29.1) and a no-hitter during the stretch.
Kane County Cougars (20-38)
Kane County lost its fifth-straight game, falling to visiting Beloit 4-0.
- LF Trevor Gretzky (.357) went a perfect 4-for-4 in his fourth game with Kane County.
- C Willson Contreras (.238) snapped a two-game hitless skid, going 2-for-4 with his ninth double of the season.
- SS Giuseppe Papaccio (.278) went 1-for-4, extending his hitting streak to five games.
- LHP Brian Smith (4.37) and Al Yevoli (3.86) combined to toss 5.0 scoreless innings of relief.
Boise Hawks (16-12)
Boise erased a 9-1 second-inning deficit to beat host Salem-Keizer 16-11. The teams combined for 27 runs on 39 hits (Boise 18, Salem-Keizer 21), and 12 players posted multihit efforts.
- DH Justin Marra (.246) recorded a season-high four hits, going 4-for-5 with two home runs and four RBI (9).
- C Lance Rymel (.266), LF Shawon Dunston (.314) and 3B Jordan Hankins (.238) all recorded two hits.
- 1B Jacob Rogers (.276) went 2-for-6 with a double (11), a home run and a season-high four RBI (43).
- CF Kevin Encarnacion (.331) recorded his fifth three-hit game, going 3-for-5 with a three runs and a double (7).
- RHP Jasvir Rakkar (3-1, 4.11) allowed two runs on four hits in 1.2 innings of relief to earn his third win.
- RHP Tyler Bremer (2.25) converted his seventh save of the season with 1.1 scoreless innings of work.
Mesa Cubs (11-12)
- 2B Trevor Stevens (.267) recorded a season-high in hits, going 3-for-5.
- CF Rashad Crawford (.208) went 2-for-5 with two runs scored and a double (3).
- C Erick Castillo (.267) went 2-for-4 with a run scored.