Minor League recap: 8/25/13
OF Dave Sappelt had a strong day at the plate Sunday. (Photo by Stephen Green)
Sunday was a rough day for the Cubs’ minor league affiliates, as they posted a 1-5 record overall. The only squad on the positive side of the ledger was Daytona, which extended its winning streak to four games behind another strong effort by first-round pick Kris Bryant. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action.
Iowa Cubs (61-75)
Visiting Memphis recorded 16 hits to beat Iowa 11-5.
- CF Dave Sappelt (.241) went 2-for-4 with a double (14) and a seventh-inning two-run homer.
- 1B-LF Greg Rohan (.105) went 2-for-4 with a run scored.
- 2B Edgar Gonzalez (.254) went 1-for-4 with a walk and one RBI (17).
Tennessee Smokies (36-26)
Tennessee lost its fourth-straight game, falling to visiting Mobile 2-0.
- SS Javier Baez (.302) was 1-for-4. He has hit safely in 19 of 24 August games.
- 3B Christian Villanueva (.259) went 1-for-3 with a stolen base (5).
- RHP Yeiper Castillo (3.99) tossed 3.0 scoreless innings of relief, scattering three hits.
Daytona Cubs (33-19-1)
Daytona won its fourth game in a row, plating seven third-inning runs in an 11-2 victory at Tampa.
- DH Kris Bryant (.368) extended his hitting streak to seven games, going 2-for-4 with a double (3) and two RBI (9).
- 3B Ben Carhart (.248) and 2B Wes Darvill (.253) each recorded two hits while driving in two runs apiece.
- Anthony Giansanti (.303) went 2-for-5 with a run scored and an RBI (17).
- RHP Yao-Lin Wang (3.80) converted his fourth save in 3.0 innings of work, allowing one run on three hits while fanning six.
Kane County Cougars (22-39)
Kane County lost for the sixth time in eight games, falling at Wisconsin 3-1.
- 1B Willson Contreras (.243) went 2-for-4 with two doubles (11) and one RBI (43).
- SS Marco Hernandez (.249) went 1-for-4 with a double (15).
- LHP Al Yevoli (3.32) tossed 2.2 scoreless innings of relief while fanning three.
Boise Hawks (18-13)
Boise had its four-game winning streak snapped in a 6-5, 10-inning loss at Hillsboro.
- SS Carlos Penalver (.252) went 1-for-4 with an RBI (19).
- CF Kevin Encarnacion (.355) was 1-for-5 with a double (9) and two RBI (23).
- C Lance Rymel (.268) reached base four times, going 2-for-3 with two walks, a run scored and one RBI (18).
- 3B David Bote (.254) went 2-for-5 with a run scored and his ninth double of the season.
Mesa Cubs (12-13)
Mesa dropped a 5-1 decision at the AZL Reds.
- 1B Kevin Brown (.236) went 2-for-4 with a double and his first career home run.
- 3B Jesse Hodges (.209) went 1-for-4 with a triple (2).
- CF Rashad Crawford (.211) went 1-for-3, extended his hitting streak to four games.