Minor League recap: 8/27/13
Luis Valbuena started his rehab assignment in Mesa Tuesday. (Photo by Stephen Green)
Iowa captured a win despite some defensive issues, Tennessee’s second inning proved to be the difference, Daytona took both games of its doubleheader and Mesa cruised behind a big first inning Tuesday night. Only Kane County was on the wrong end of the scoreboard. Boise had the day off. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action.
Iowa Cubs (63-75)
Iowa won its second straight despite committing five errors, beating visiting Omaha 7-6.
- RHP Justin Grimm picked up a win, giving up one earned run over five innings and striking out two.
- C Luis Flores (.217) went 1-for-4 with a third-inning solo home run.
- SS Edwin Maysonet (.235) went 1-for-3 with a team-high three RBI (30).
- DH Dave Sappelt (.244) and 2B Edgar Gonzalez (.260) each recorded two hits and drove in a run.
- LF Julio Borbon (.250) reached base three times, going 1-for-2 with two walks, two runs scored and two stolen bases (5).
- RHP Brian Schlitter (3.18) tossed 1.1 innings of relief to convert his 19th save of the year.
Tennessee Smokies (38-26)
Tennessee plated three second-inning runs to defeat visiting Mobile 4-2.
- 2B Arismendy Alcantara (.268) went 1-for-4 with a fifth-inning solo home run.
- 3B Jonathan Mota (.274) recorded Tennessee’s lone multihit effort, going 2-for-3 with a run scored.
- C Rafael Lopez (.252) snapped a four-game hitless skid, going 1-for-2 with a walk and one RBI (42).
- LHP Eric Jokisch tossed his fifth straight quality start to earn his team-leading 11th victory of the season, pitching six scoreless innings and surrendering just two hits. He’s 3-2 with a 1.78 ERA (7 ER/35.1 IP) in August.
- RHP Frank Batista (2.66) recorded the final two outs to convert his 18th save of the campaign.
Daytona Cubs (35-19-1)
GM 1: Daytona defeated visiting Dunedin 6-4 in the completion of Monday’s game.
- RHP Pierce Johnson pitched three scoreless innings, surrendering two hits and striking out three.
- 1B Dustin Geiger (.279) went 2-for-4 with a sixth-inning solo home run.
- C Chadd Krist (.252) went 2-for-3 with a walk, two runs scored, a double (13), a home run (5) and one RBI (30).
- RF Pin-Chieh Chen (.273) recorded a team-high three hits, going 3-for-4 with two RBI (10).
- RHP Ben Wells (9-6, 3.35) tossed 2.1 scoreless innings of relief to earn his ninth win of the season.
- LHP Frank Del Valle (2.29) struck out the final two batters to convert his ninth save of the year.
GM 2: Three Daytona pitchers combined on a seven-inning no-hitter to beat Dunedin 1-0. Daytona’s magic number to clinch the Florida State League second half title is two.
- RHPs Ben Wells and Zach Cates (4.19) each worked a perfect inning, while LHP Kyler Burke (5-1, 3.00) tossed 5.0 scoreless innings of relief to earn the victory and preserve the no-hitter. Burke struck out four and walked two.
- LF Anthony Giansanti (.295) went 2-for-3 with two doubles (6).
- 3B Kris Bryant (.357) went 1-for-3 with a double (2). He’s hit safely in 10 of his first 12 games with Daytona.
- 1B Dustin Geiger (.281) went 1-for-3 with one RBI (79).
Kane County Cougars (22-41)
Kane County committed six errors in an 8-7 setback at Wisconsin. The Cougars (22-41, 52-77 overall) set a franchise record for losses in a season, eclipsing the previous mark set by the 1992 club that went 61-76.
- RF Reggie Golden (.225) went 2-for-3 with two runs scored, a home run and a team-high two RBI (29).
- DH Jeimer Candelario (.252) went 2-for-5 with a double (34) and a ninth-inning solo home run.
- LF Jose Dore (.225), SS Marco Hernandez (.253) and 3B Giuseppe Papaccio (.266) all recorded two hits apiece.
- RHP Justin Amlung (3.78) struck out two in 3.0 scoreless innings of relief.
Mesa Cubs (13-13)
Mesa used a five-run first inning to beat the visiting AZL Mariners 8-3.
- RF Ryan Sweeney (.200) went 2-for-5 with two runs scored, a double (1) and one RBI (1) in the third game of a rehabilitation assignment.
- DH Luis Valbuena (.667) went 2-for-3 with a walk, a run scored, a double (1) and one RBI (1) in the first game of his rehabilitation assignment.
- RHP Rafael Dolis made his second relief appearance as part of a rehab assignment, tossing a scoreless inning and fanning one.
- 3B-C Mark Malave (.263) went 2-for-3 with a walk, two runs scored, two doubles (5) and two RBI (15).
- 1B Kevin Freeman (.272) went 2-for-4 with a run scored and two RBI (19).
- RHP Johermyn Chavez (1-1, 8.53) tossed 2.0 scoreless innings of relief to earn his second win of the year.