Minor League recap: 8/28/13
Scott Baker posted his first win of the season in a rehab start for Kane County. (Photo by Stephen Green)
Wednesday was a great day for the Cubs affiliates. The teams went 5-0, Daytona clinched the FSL second-half title, Kris Bryant mashed another home run, and Scott Baker had his best rehab start of the season. Both Tennessee and Mesa had the day off. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action.
Iowa Cubs (64-75)
Iowa won its third straight game, beating visiting Omaha 5-2.
- RF Ty Wright (.279) went 2-for-4 with a run scored and a team-high three RBI (36).
- DH Edgar Gonzalez (.267) was 2-for-4 with two runs scored and two doubles (9).
- 3B Mike Olt (.197) reached base three times, going 1-for-2 with two walks and a run scored.
- RHP Kyle Hendricks tossed a season-high 8.0 innings, marking his third straight quality start. He has allowed just one home run in 34.0 innings of work with Iowa.
- RHP Brian Schlitter (3.10) converted his 20th save of the year with a perfect ninth inning.
Daytona Cubs (37-19-1)
GM 1: Daytona clinched the Florida State League second half title with a 6-2 victory over visiting Dunedin.
- DH Kris Bryant (.340) went 1-for-3 with a third-inning two-run homer.
- 1B Dustin Geiger (.281) homered for the second straight game, going 1-for-3 with a first-inning two-run blast.
- 3B Ben Carhart (.251) went 2-for-3.
- RHP Lendy Castillo (2-0, 3.32) tossed 2.2 scoreless innings of relief to earn his second win of the year.
GM 2: Daytona won its eighth straight game, beating Dunedin 3-0.
- SS Wes Darvill (.256) went 3-for-3 with two runs scored and a double (13).
- RF Bijan Rademacher (.256) was 1-for-2 with a walk and two RBI (18).
- RHP Ryan Searle (2-2, 5.09) struck out four in 3.0 scoreless innings of work to earn his second win of the season.
Kane County Cougars (23-41)
Kane County snapped its three-game losing streak, beating host Cedar Rapids 9-1.
- RHP Scott Baker earned his first win after tossing his best rehab start of the year. Baker retired the first 13 hitters of the game.
- 3B Jeimer Candelario (.254) went 2-for-4 with a walk, three runs scored, a double (35), a home run and a team-high three RBI (57).
- C Carlos Escobar (.232) went 1-for-5 with a fourth-inning two-run homer.
- DH Rock Shoulders (.252), 1B Willson Contreras (.250) and CF Jose Dore (.230) all had a hit and one RBI.
Boise Hawks (20-13)
Boise used a 14-hit attack to beat visiting Salem-Keizer 10-6.
- 1B Jacob Rogers (.287) and RF Yasiel Balaguert (.269) each hit their eighth homer of the season.
- DH Justin Marra (.239) went 2-for-4 with a walk, two runs scored, a double (3), a home run and a team-high three RBI (15).
- CF Kevin Encarnacion (.367) extended his hitting streak to 10 games, going 4-for-5 with two runs scored and a stolen base (9). He’s hitting .435 (20-for-46) with 11 runs scored, three doubles, three home runs and eight RBI during the streak.
- RHP Carlos Martinez-Pumarino (4-2, 5.04) tossed 2.0 scoreless innings of relief to earn his fourth win of the year.