Minor League recap: 8/29/13
Rafael Dolis continued his rehab assignment Thursday in Mesa. (Photo by Stephen Green)
Iowa continued its winning streak, Tennessee hurled a shutout, Daytona made it nine straight, and Mesa rode a big inning to victory Thursday night. But Boise slipped back into a first-place tie after a loss, and Kane County fell short. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action.
Iowa Cubs (65-75)
Iowa won its fourth straight game, beating visiting Omaha 4-2.
- RHP Casey Coleman earned the win, allowing five hits and two earned runs over six innings and striking out three.
- 2B Edgar Gonzalez (.275) reached base three times, going 2-for-3 with a walk, a run scored and one RBI (20).
- SS Edwin Maysonet (.241) went 2-for-3 with a double (14) and one RBI (31).
- RF Ty Wright (.283) went 2-for-4, extending his hitting streak to eight games. He’s hitting .429 (12-for-28) during the streak.
- RHP Alberto Cabrera (7.08) and RHP Marcos Mateo (2.03) each tossed a scoreless inning.
- RHP Eduardo Sanchez (3.46) converted his third save of the season with a scoreless ninth inning.
Tennessee Smokies (39-26)
Tennessee allowed just one hit in a 5-0 victory over host Chattanooga.
- RHP Neil Ramirez fanned five and allowed one hit and no earned runs in 4.2 innings.
- 3B Christian Villanueva (.259) went 1-for-4 with a fourth-inning solo home run.
- 1B Justin Bour (.237) was 1-for-4 with a double (16) and a team-high three RBI (58).
- 2B Arismendy Alcantara (.270) went 2-for-4 with two runs scored and a double (35).
- RHP P.J. Francescon (2-0, 4.34) struck out three in 1.1 scoreless innings of relief to earn his second win of the year.
- RHP Yeiper Castillo (3.79) tossed 3.0 scoreless innings to convert his first save of the season.
Daytona Cubs (38-19-1)
Daytona won its ninth straight game, beating host Brevard County 3-2.
- RF Bijan Rademacher (.261) went 2-for-5 with a run scored and a double (7).
- C Chadd Krist (.253) was 1-for-4 with two RBI (33).
- RHP Corey Black won his fourth straight decision, striking out six batters and allowing one run over six innings. He has struck out 28 hitters in 25.0 innings of work in five starts with Daytona.
- LHP Jeffrey Lorick (3.48) allowed a run on three hits in 3.0 innings of relief to convert his third save of the season.
Kane County Cougars (23-42)
Kane County dropped a 5-2 decision at Cedar Rapids.
- DH Marco Hernandez (.256) posted his third straight multihit effort, going 2-for-4 with an RBI (33).
- 1B Rock Shoulders (.253) went 1-for-3 with a walk, a run scored, a double (26) and one RBI (71).
- LHP Matt Iannazzo (4.22) tossed a scoreless inning of relief.
Boise Hawks (20-14)
Boise fell into a first-place tie with a 10-8 loss to Salem-Keizer.
- CF Kevin Encarnacion (.368) extended his hitting streak to 11 games, going 2-for-5 with a run scored, a home run and a team-high four RBI (28). He’s hitting .431 (22-for-51) with four home runs and 12 RBI during the stretch.
- LF Shawon Dunston (.293) went 2-for-4 with two runs scored and two stolen bases (12).
- 2B Dan Lockhart (.296) went 2-for-3 with a walk, a run scored, two RBI (22) and one stolen base (7).
- SS Carlos Penalver (.266) went 2-for-3 with two runs scored.
Mesa Cubs (14-13)
Mesa used a four-run third inning to beat host AZL D-backs 8-1.
- RF Ryan Sweeney (.286) went 2-for-4 with a walk, two runs scored, a double (2) and one RBI in the fourth game of a rehab assignment.
- 3B Luis Valbuena (.714) went 3-for-4 with a run scored, a double (2), two RBI (3) and one stolen base (1) in the second game of his rehab assignment.
- RHP Rafael Dolis (0.00) tossed a scoreless inning of relief in his third appearance of the season.
- RHP Ethan Elias (2-1, 5.71) threw 1.1 scoreless innings of relief to earn his second win of the year.