Minor League recap: 9/3/13
Corey Black was solid for Daytona in its postseason opener. (Photo courtesy of the Daytona Cubs)
Daytona waited out the weather and picked up a playoff win and Boise’s pitching was solid in a postseason victory Tuesday. Meanwhile, Tennessee will begin its playoff push Thursday. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action.
Daytona plated five, sixth-inning runs to defeat visiting Dunedin in Game 1 of the FSL Playoffs, 6-1. Game 2 of the best-of-three series is tonight at Dunedin.
- 3B Kris Bryant (.667) recorded Daytona’s lone multihit effort, going 2-for-3.
- RF Pin-Chieh Chen (.333) led off the bottom of the first inning with a double (1). He scored the game’s first run on a wild pitch later in the inning, putting the Cubs ahead 1-0.
- DH Dan Vogelbach (.250) went 1-for-4 with a run scored and a RBI (1).
- RHP Corey Black scattered five hits while fanning seven to earn the win. Since joining the Cubs on July 26, Black has won five of his six starts and has more strikeouts (35) than hits allowed (27).
- LHP Frank Del Valle (0.00) struck out two in 2.0 scoreless innings of relief.
- Dating to the regular season, the Cubs have won 12 of their last 13 games, including six in a row vs. Dunedin.
- CF Kevin Encarnacion (.750) went 3-for-4 with two runs scored and a double (1).
- RF Yasiel Balaguert (1.000) also recorded three hits, going 3-for-3 with a game-high two RBI (2).
- 2B Dan Lockhart (.500) went 2-for-4 with a run scored and a double (1).
- RHP Paul Blackburn tossed 7.0 shutout innings while fanning eight to earn the win. Blackburn is 2-0 with a 0.60 ERA (1 ER/15.0 IP) in his last three starts.
- RHP Zack Godley (0.00) struck out three in 2.0 scoreless innings of relief to convert the save.
- Boise snapped a five-game losing streak dating back to the regular season.