Minor League recap: 9/5/13
Dustin Geiger had a pair of hits in a Daytona victory. (Photos by Aldrin Capulong/Daytona Cubs)
Daytona’s pitching was on again as the D-Cubs shut out Charlotte in Game 1 of the best-of-five FSL Championship series. However, Tennessee couldn’t get the bats going and fell to Birmingham. Boise will play the first game of the Northwest League Championship Series tonight. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action.
Tennessee mustered just four hits in Game 1 of the Southern League North Division Series, falling at Birmingham 3-1. The Smokies will try to even the series at one apiece tonight in Game 2.
- RHP Nick Struck pitched five innings, giving up three earned runs on six hits and striking out three in the loss.
- RF Rubi Silva (.333) provided all the offense for the Smokies, going 1-for-3 with a fifth-inning solo home run.
- LF John Andreoli (.667) recorded two of Tennessee’s four hits, going 2-for-3.
- 3B Christian Villanueva (.333) went 1-for-3 with a double (1).
- RHP’s Yeiper Castillo (0.00), A.J. Morris (0.00) and Tony Zych (0.00) combined to toss 3.0 scoreless relief innings.
- RHP Kyle Hendricks claimed the Southern League ERA title with a 1.85 ERA (26 ER/126.1 IP). He limited opposing hitters to a .227 batting average and allowed the fewest base runners per 9.0 innings pitched at 9.83.
Daytona shut out Charlotte in Game 1 of the FSL Championship series, beating the Stone Crabs 5-0. The Cubs have not allowed an earned run in 27.0 postseason innings this season.
- RHP Pierce Johnson pitched five scoreless innings, allowing five hits and striking out six to pick up the win.
- CF Zeke DeVoss (.375) reached base four times, going 2-for-2 with two walks, a run scored, two doubles (2) and one stolen base (1).
- RF Pin-Chieh Chen (.273) batted leadoff and went 2-for-5 with a run scored, a double (2) and a team-high three RBI (3).
- 1B Dustin Geiger (.250) was 2-for-4 with a double (1) and two RBI (2).
- LF Anthony Giansanti (.364) posted his second straight multihit game of the postseason, going 2-for-4 with a run scored and a double (1).
- Daytona starting pitchers Corey Black, C.J. Edwards and Johnson have combined to throw 15.0 shutout innings this postseason. They’ve allowed just nine hits, walking two and fanning 19.
- LHP Jeffrey Lorick (0.00) scattered four hits while striking out one in 3.0 scoreless innings of relief.
- The Cubs came into the game having gone 0-6 against the Stone Crabs this season.