Minor League recap: 9/8/13
Daytona’s Dan Vogelbach drove in a run Sunday. (Photo by Aldrin Capulong)
Tennessee staved off elimination and will play Birmingham in a deciding Game 5 showdown, while neither Daytona nor Boise could wrap up their respective championship series Sunday. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action.
Tennessee forced a fifth and deciding game in the Southern League North Division Championship Series with a 10-7 victory over visiting Birmingham.
- RF Rubi Silva (.429) recorded a game-high four hits, going 4-for-4 with three runs scored.
- 3B Jonathan Mota (.222) went 2-for-3 with a walk, three runs scored, a triple (1) and three RBI (4).
- C Taylor Davis (.222) was 2-for-4 with a run scored, two doubles (2) and two RBI (2).
- CF Matt Szczur (.267) went 1-for-3 with a walk, a run scored, a double (1), three RBI (4) and one stolen base (1).
- 2B Arismendy Alcantara (.125) went 2-for-5 with two RBI (2) and one stolen base (1).
- RHP A.J. Morris (1-0, 2.45) allowed one run on two hits in 2.2 innings of relief to earn the victory.
- RHP Frank Batista (0.00) recorded the final out of the game to convert his first save of the postseason.
Charlotte scored two runs in the bottom of the ninth inning to avoid elimination, beating Daytona 3-2. Daytona leads 2-1 in the best-of-five Florida State League Championship Series.
- RHP Corey Black gave up one hit over six innings and struck out two batters.
- RF Pin-Chieh Chen (.421) went 3-for-4 with a run scored.
- DH Dan Vogelbach (.167) was 1-for-4 with an RBI (3).
- 3B Kris Bryant (.412) went 1-for-3 with a walk and a run scored.
- C Chadd Krist (.235) recorded Daytona’s lone extra-base hit, going 1-for-3 with a double (2) and one RBI (2).
- Daytona allowed its first earned run of the postseason in the eighth inning, snapping a streak of 43.0 consecutive innings without allowing an earned run in the playoffs.
Vancouver avoided elimination with a 4-2 victory over visiting Boise in Game 2 of the Northwest League Finals. The best-of-three series is tied 1-1.
- RHP Paul Blackburn gave up one earned run on three hits and struck out nine over five innings.
- 2B Jordan Hankins (.500) went 2-for-4 with a double (1) and one RBI (1).
- SS Dan Lockhart (.333) was 1-for-4 with an RBI (3).
- 3B-CF David Bote (.286) reached base twice, going 1-for-3 with a walk and a run scored.
- RHP Jasvir Rakkar (0.00) struck out one in 1.1 scoreless innings of relief.