Arizona Fall League Recap: 10/8/13
Top prospect Kris Bryant got off to a fast start in the AFL. (Photo by Stephen Green)
The Mesa Solar Sox—a team comprised of prospects from the Cubs, Angles, A’s, Nationals and Tigers—opened up the Arizona Fall League season with an 11-inning, 8-8 tie Tuesday afternoon against Glendale. Trailing 7-3 in the top of the eighth inning, the Solar Sox rallied for five runs, behind RBI doubles from Kris Bryant and Jorge Soler. The Desert Dogs would get a run back in the bottom of the ninth to force extras. Here’s what the Cubs prospects did yesterday afternoon:
- 3B Kris Bryant went 3-for-6 with two RBI and two runs scored. With Angels prospects C.J. Cron on second and Taylor Lindsey on first with nobody out in the second inning, Bryant ripped a single up the middle, scoring Cron. Bryant drove in Cron again with an eighth-inning double, cutting the deficit to three.
- RF Jorge Soler finished 1-for-6 with an RBI. The Solar Sox regained the lead in the eighth thanks to a Soler double to left field that scored Oakland catcher David Freitas from second.
- RHP Matt Loosen entered the game in the third and went two innings, surrendering two unearned runs, striking out one and walking one. He was credited with a blown save.
- RHP Lendy Castillo surrendered three unearned runs in the sixth inning, striking out one.
- RHP Armando Rivero pitched a scoreless eighth inning, striking out the side, including the game’s top prospect, Twins outfielder Byron Buxton. Rivero was credited for a hold.
The Sox will host Glendale this afternoon, with first pitch scheduled for 1:35 CST. Cubs prospect Albert Almora will lead off and play center field, Soler will DH and bat fourth, and Bryant will play third base and bat fifth.