Wrigley Field will celebrate 100 Delicious Years at the concession stands
Wrigley Field will kick off its 100th birthday year on Opening Day, Friday, April 4, and continue the Party of the Century throughout the 2014 season. In honor of the ballpark that originated the concession stand, the culinary team at Wrigley Field will introduce decade-themed menus, featuring classic fare inspired by tastes from days gone by.
“Chicago is home to the iconic Wrigley Field and truly amazing food, and this year we are thrilled to celebrate 100 years with the great flavors of the gameday experience,” said Wrigley Field Executive Chef David Burns. “We can’t wait for Cubs fans to dig into the delicious and historic treats we have in store.”
Here’s a rundown of the new Centennial-inspired offerings at Wrigley Field this season.
Fans can take a culinary trip through time by visiting The Sheffield Grill, which will be transformed into the Decade Diner for the 2014 season, located inside Gate D near Section 142. Kraft Cheese is celebrating 100 years of cheese-making this year, so the Friendly Confines will feature one Kraft Cheese recipe for each decade in the Decade Diner, alongside traditional fan favorite gameday fare.
Wrigley Field’s culinary team also put a historical twist on everyone’s gameday favorite, the hot dog. Cubs fans can enjoy a variety of Decade Dogs throughout the season next to Gate F near Section 123, including:
- 1910s Rueben Dog: Vienna Beef hot dog, sliced corn beef, sauerkraut, Thousand Island dressing and Swiss cheese. Available all season.
- 1920s Chicago Dog: Vienna Beef hot dog, tomato wedges, pickle spears, sport peppers, diced onions, mustard, neon relish and celery salt, served on a poppy seed bun. Available all season.
- 1930s Cheese Steak Dog: Vienna Beef hot dog, shaved ribeye steak, grilled onions, peppers and provolone cheese. Available during the 1930s homestand.
- 1940s Corn Dog Nibblers: Deep-fried mini Vienna Beef corn dogs. Available during the 1940s homestand.
- 1950s TV Dinner Dog: Vienna Beef hot dog, mashed potatoes, gravy and corn. Available during the 1950s homestand.
- 1960s Buffalo Wing Dog: Vienna Beef hot dog, diced chicken, buffalo sauce, bleu cheese crumbles and chopped celery. Available all season.
- 1970s Pulled Pork Dog: Vienna Beef hot dog, pulled pork, barbecue sauce and coleslaw. Available all season.
- 1980s Nacho Dog: Vienna Beef hot dog, tortilla strips, nacho cheese, salsa and pickled jalapenos. Available during the 1980s homestand.
- 1990s Bagel Dog: Vienna Beef hot dog wrapped in a warm bagel with deli mustard. Available during the 1990s homestand.
- 2000s Dog: The most popular hot dog from the previous decades. Available during the 2000s homestand.
Cubs suite-holders can enjoy delicious dishes from yesteryear with the Suite Package of the Century, which features fan favorites from the past 100 years. Dishes include:
- 1910s Reuben Fritters: Served with horseradish-mustard dipping sauce.
- 1920s Caesar Salad: crisp romaine, housemade Caesar dressing, Parmesan garlic croutons.
- 1930s Chicago-style Hot Dogs: Vienna beef hot dogs, tomato, onion, neon relish, pickle, sport peppers, celery salt.
- 1940s Macaroni and Cheese: Cavatappi pasta made in a creamy sauce made from three cheeses.
- 1950s Twisted Potato Chips: Served with classic, creamy Lipton Onion Dip.
- 1960s Wedge Salad: Served with bleu cheese dressing, bacon crumbles and green onions.
- 1970s Shrimp Cocktail Shooters: Jumbo shrimp, zesty cocktail sauce served in a shot glass.
- 1980s Cajun Wings: Served with cool ranch dipping sauce.
- 1990s Mini Veggie Burgers: Our housemade veggie burger served on whole wheat bun.
- 2000s Niman Ranch Pork Sandwich: Specialty smoked pork with caramelized onions, signature steak sauce on toasted focaccia bread.
Ten Timeless Toddies
Cubs fans can quench their thirst with signature period cocktails, served in limited-edition souvenir glasses on the main concourse at Section 109 and on the bleacher patio in left field. As each drink is unveiled throughout the season, the Cubs will share the recipes online at WrigleyField100.com so fans can recreate the Wrigley experience at home. Decade drinks include:
- 1910s Weeghman Park Old Fashioned: Bulleit Rye and Finest Call Old Fashioned Mix, served with an orange slice and cherry.
- 1920s Upper Deck Gin Rickey: A Gilded Age cocktail made with Tanqueray Gin, lime juice and club soda, garnished with basil.
- 1930s Called Shot: A Manhattan made with fans’ choice of whiskey—Bulleit Bourbon, Bulleit Rye, Crown Royal or Bushmills Irish Whiskey.
- 1940s Day Game: A variation on a Hurricane, made with Captain Morgan, Meyers Dark Rum and Finest Call Hurricane Mix.
- 1950s Mr. Cub Cocktail #14: In honor of Mr. Cub, Ernie Banks, this Cubbie Blue cocktail features Smirnoff Vodka, Blue Curacao and lemonade, served with a slice of lemon and a cherry.
- 1960s Alabama Ironman: This modern twist on the Whiskey Sour pays homage to Billy Williams, made with peach puree, lemon and lime juice.
- 1970s Cooperstown Iced Tea: A variation on a Long Island Iced Tea, which surged to popularity during the ’70s, this cocktail features Captain Morgan’s Ready-to-Drink Long Island Iced Tea Mix.
- 1980s Electric Ryno Margarita: A blue margarita featuring Don Julio Tequila, Blue Curacao, lime juice and agave nectar, served with a light-up straw.
- 1990s Home Run Hop: A Dominican-inspired cocktail made with island flavors including Captain Morgan Spiced Rum, Meyers Silver Rum, pineapple juice and coconut water.
- 2000s Playoff Punch: A Cosmopolitan-inspired punch made with Smirnoff Orange Vodka, Monin Tiki Blend, cranberry and lime juice.
Ballpark Brews and More
In addition to the new decade cocktails, Cubs fans can enjoy an expanded offering of beers this season, including:
- Goose Island: Fans can now enjoy drafts and bottles of Goose Island favorites such as 312 Urban Wheat, 312 Urban Pale Ale, Green Line, Matilda and Sofie.
- Budweiser and Bud Light
- Mang-O-Rita, Raz-Ber-Rita, Lime-A-Rita and Straw-Ber-Rita
- Redbridge gluten-free beer
- Johnny Appleseed Cider
- Old Style
Wrigley Field isn’t just bringing history to fans’ taste buds. The Cubs have partnered with Majestic Athletic to recreate throwback uniforms from each decade, which the team will wear on Throwback Sunday games. Fans can sport the jerseys as well, along with other vintage threads, which will be available at the Cubs Team Store on the Wrigley Field concourse and at authorized Cubs retailers. Jerseys offered include:
- May 4 – 1929 Jersey
- May 18 – 1937 Jersey
- June 8 – 1942 Jersey
- June 22 – 1953 Jersey
- July 13 – 1969 Jersey
- August 10 – 1988 Jersey
- August 24 – 1994 Jersey
For more details on all of the centennial food and fun planned for the 2014 season, visit WrigleyField100.com and LevyRestaurants.com.