Cubs Minor League Recap: 4/3/14
Josh Vitters homered for the I-Cubs Thursday. (Photo by Stephen Green)
Kane County’s offense was on full display early, capturing a win in the season opener. Iowa and Daytona both struggled to put some runs on the board while Tennessee let a five-run lead slip away in a loss. Here are some highlights from action around the minor leagues.
Iowa Cubs (0-1)
T-3rd Place (1 game back)
Iowa dropped its season opener vs. Memphis, 10-2. The Redbirds scored three first-inning runs off I-Cubs starter, Chris Rusin.
- LHP Chris Rusin (0-1) gave up five earned over 3.2 innings, fanning two in the loss.
- LF Josh Vitters was 2-for-4 and hit a third-inning solo home run.
- 3B Christian Villanueva had two hits with a double and a run scored.
- RHP Yoanner Negrin followed Rusin and spun 3.1 shutout innings, allowing one hit while striking out four.
Tennessee Smokies (0-1)
T-3rd Place (1 game back)
The Smokies had a 5-0 lead through three innings at Pensacola, but fell to the Blue Wahoos, 6-5, in their season opener.
- RHP Dae-Eun Rhee pitched four innings, giving up two earned runs on two hits and four walks while striking out four in a no-decision.
- 3B Kris Bryant clubbed a two-run homer in his first at-bat off RHP Mat Latos, who was on a rehab assignment. Bryant went 1-for-3 with two runs scored, the home run and one stolen base.
- CF Zeke DeVoss went 2-for-5 with a triple and one RBI from the leadoff spot.
- LF Rubi Silva and RF Jorge Soler each recorded a double. Soler left the game following his double due to hamstring tightness.
- RHP Ryan Searle allowed just one run on one hit while fanning five in three innings of relief.
Daytona Cubs (0-1)
T-4th Place (1 game back)
Daytona opened its 2014 campaign with a 1-0 loss at Brevard County.
- RHP Felix Pena had a solid outing, giving up one run on three hits while striking out three over six innings despite picking up the loss.
- 2B Gioskar Amaya recorded Daytona’s lone multi-hit effort, going 2-for-2 with a stolen base.
- 1B Dan Vogelbach and 3B Jeimer Candelario both went 1-for-3 with a walk.
- RHP’s Zach Cates and Arodys Vizcaino each tossed a scoreless inning of relief.
Kane County Cougars (1-0)
T-1st Place ( — games back)
Kane County kicked off its 2014 season with an 8-4 victory at Quad Cities.
- RHP Paul Blackburn gave up four runs over four innings, striking out three.
- RF Yasiel Balaguert went 4-for-5 with three doubles and two RBI.
- SS Carlos Penalver was a perfect 3-for-3 with a walk, a run scored, one RBI and two stolen bases.
- CF Jacob Hannemann batted leadoff and went 2-for-5 with two runs scored.
- LHP Nathan Dorris tossed two scoreless innings of relief to earn the victory.