Cubs Minor League Recap: 4/6/14
Zac Rosscup picked up the win in relief for Iowa. (Photo by Stephen Green)
Iowa was able to grab a win in walk-off fashion Sunday, but both Tennessee and Kane County couldn’t muster enough offense in their games. Daytona had the day off. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action on the farm.
Iowa Cubs (1-3)
4th Place (2 games back)
Chris Valaika hit a walk-off single to center field, scoring Matt Szczur, as the I-Cubs beat the Memphis Redbirds, 4-3, to record their first victory of the season.
- LHP Eric Jokisch was solid in his debut, going seven innings, giving up no earned runs and striking out three in a no decision.
- SS Valaika (.200) finished the game going 2-for-4 with a run scored, a walk and one RBI.
- Javier Baez (.091) briefly tied the game at 2-2 with a pinch-hit homer in the seventh inning. It was his first hit of the year, snapping a 0-for-9 drought to start the season.
- LF Josh Vitters (.375) went 3-for-4 with a double and one RBI.
- LHP Zac Rosscup (1-0, 0.00) tossed 0.2 scoreless innings to earn the win.
Tennessee Smokies (1-3)
5th Place (2 games back)
Tennessee dropped its second-straight game at Pensacola, falling 3-2.
- RHP Ivan Pineyro picked up the loss, giving up one earned run in four innings, striking out three and walking three.
- 1B Dustin Geiger (.214) went 2-for-3 with a walk and a ninth-inning, solo home run.
- RF Jonathan Mota (.333) went 2-for-4 with his first RBI of the campaign.
- LHP Jeff Lorick (0.00) struck out two hitters in two scoreless innings of work.
Kane County Cougars (2-2)
T-1st Place (– games back)
Quad Cities scored five runs in the seventh inning to beat visiting Kane County, 7-3.
- RHP Juan Paniagua went four innings, giving up two earned runs while striking out four and walking four while earning the loss.
- LF Trey Martin (.100) and 3B David Bote (.167) each recorded a hit and one RBI.
- CF Jacob Hannemann (.250) reached base twice, going 1-for-4 with a walk and four strikeouts.
- RHP James Pugliese (0.00) and LHP Nathan Dorris (0.00) combined to toss 3.2 scoreless innings of relief.