Cubs Minor League Recap: 4/7/14
Christian Villanueva powered Triple-A Iowa to victory, but both Tennessee and Daytona lost one-run games Monday night. Kane County had the day off and resumes action Tuesday. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action.
Iowa Cubs (2-3)
4th Place (1.5 Games Back)
3B Christian Villanueva supported a strong start by LHP Tsuyoshi Wada with a go-ahead, three-run home run with two outs in the sixth inning to lift Iowa over visiting Nashville, 4-1.
- RF Brett Jackson (.143) notched his first two hits of the season, including a fifth-inning triple, finishing 2-for-2 with a run scored, a walk and a stolen base.
- LHP Wada earned his first win in his debut with the I-Cubs. His eight punchouts have him tied for fifth place in the Pacific Coast League this season.
- RHP Blake Parker (0.00) earned the save, striking out two in a scoreless ninth. His 42 career saves are tops in the organization.
Tennessee Smokies (1-4)
5th Place (3 Games Back)
Tennessee fell at Pensacola, dropping a 3-2 decision and finishing the five-game series with a 1-4 record.
- RHP Matt Loosen went five innings, giving up three earned runs, walking three and striking out two in the loss.
- 1B Dustin Geiger (.278) went 2-for-4 with his second solo home run in as many days.
- SS Jeudy Valdez (.375) went 2-for-3 including an eighth-inning double that drove in his first run of the season.
- RHP Ryan Searle (2.08), LHP Hunter Cervenka (0.00), and RHP Tony Zych (9.00) combined for five strikeouts over three perfect innings of relief.
Daytona Cubs (1-3)
T-4th Place (2 Games Back)
Daytona surrendered an early three-run lead at home vs. Brevard County, losing 5-4 and committing three errors.
- LHP Rob Zastryzny gave up four runs in four innings, striking out six and walking two in a no-decision.
- LF Rock Shoulders (.200) went 2-for-4 with a run scored, a double, two RBI and two strikeouts.
- 3B Jeimer Candelario (.286) added two hits, going 2-for-4 with a run scored, a triple and one RBI.
- RHP Yao-Lin Wang (0-1, 0.00) suffered the loss on an unearned run that scored on a fielding error by SS Marco Hernandez in the top of the fifth inning.