Cubs Minor League Recap: 4/14/14
Tennessee let a lead slip away in the ninth, while offensive woes continued to plague Daytona in another one-run loss. Iowa and Kane County were both rained out, but LHP Tsuyoshi Wada was named the Pacific Coast League Pitcher of the Week for the week of April 3-13. Wada went 2-0 with a 0.68 ERA (1 ER/13.1 IP) while striking out 18 hitters in two starts against Nashville and Memphis. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action:
Tennessee Smokies (5-6)
4th Place (-2.5)
Visiting Jackson scored three runs in the ninth inning to beat Tennessee 6-4.
- 1B Dustin Geiger (.300) went 2-for-4 and clubbed his Southern League-leading fourth home run.
- Rafael Lopez (.333) hit his first homer of the season, a solo shot in the fifth inning.
- RHP C.J. Edwards allowed his second career home run when Jackson’s Jack Marder took him deep in the second inning. Edwards has surrendered only two home runs in 198.0 professional innings.
- LHP Austin Kirk (0.00) tossed 2.1 scoreless innings of relief.
- Tuesday’s scheduled contest between Tennessee and Jackson has been postponed due to inclement weather. The game will be made up as part of a doubleheader on Thursday evening.
Daytona Cubs (2-9)
5th Place (-7.0)
Daytona dropped its seventh game in its last eight, falling at Dunedin 1-0.
- RHP Felix Pena suffered the loss despite tossing his second career complete game. Daytona has now lost each of Pena’s three starts this season by identical 1-0 scores.
- CF Albert Almora (.279) went 0-for-3 before leaving the game in the fifth inning with a nose bleed.
- 2B Tim Saunders (.263) recorded a game-high three hits, going 3-for-5 with a double (3).