Cubs Minor League Recap: 4/15/14
Kane County took both games of its doubleheader, but Iowa and Daytona both came up short. Tennessee was rained out Tuesday. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action:
Iowa Cubs (6-6)
T-2nd place (-2.5)
The I-Cubs fell to New Orleans, 8-4. SS Logan Watkins was 1-for-3 with a walk. He had a two-run single in the club’s four-run second inning.
- 1B Chris Valaika (.333) was 2-for-3 with a run scored and a double (3). He has multihit efforts in three of his last five games.
- RHP Carlos Pimentel recorded a 1-2-3 first inning before New Orleans scored five runs in the second. The right-hander had issued just one walk in his previous two starts before allowing five last night. He also struck out five in the losing effort.
- RHP Yoanner Negrin (2.08) allowed one run in 3.1 relief innings, walking none and striking out three.
Daytona Cubs (2-10)
T-5th Place (-8.0)
Daytona lost to Dunedin, 10-3. The team had nine hits but was just 1-for-14 with runners in scoring position.
- 2B Tim Saunders (.310) paced Daytona with three hits, including two doubles (5). He has eight hits and four doubles in his last three games.
- RF Pin-Chieh Chen (.289) was 2-for-4 with an RBI (7), while DH Rock Shoulders (.179) was 2-for-4 with two runs and a solo home run, his first of the year.
- RHP Starling Peralta (3.86) threw 2.2 scoreless innings of relief, striking out three and walking none.
Kane County Cougars (9-3)
1st Place (+1.0)
Kane County swept a doubleheader at Bowling Green, recording shutouts in both games. In the first, a 2-0 win, RHP Jen-Ho Tseng tossed 5.1 shutout innings. In Game Two, a 1-0 victory, RHP Paul Blackburn spun six shutout innings, allowing just one hit.
- RHP Jen-Ho Tseng earned his first win of the season, striking out six batters.
- RHP Zach Godley (3.60) picked up his second save of the season, throwing 1.2 scoreless innings. He allowed one hit and struck out four of the six batters he faced.
- RF Yasiel Balaguert (.391) was 1-for-2 with a sac fly, extending his hitting streak to nine games (.389/14-for-36). He’d go 0-for-2 with a walk in the second game to snap the streak.
- RHP Paul Blackburn walked one and struck out six to pick up the victory.
- RHP Jose Arias (1.69) tossed a scoreless seventh inning to pick up his first save.
- SS Carlos Penalver (.279) was 1-for-3 with an RBI (3).