Cubs Minor League Recap: 4/17/14
Iowa won a sloppy game, while Tennessee split its doubleheader and Kane County set a season high in runs Thursday. Daytona’s struggles continued in a loss. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action:
Iowa Cubs (8-6)
2nd Place (-1.5)
Iowa beat visiting New Orleans, 5-4, despite committing a season-high six errors. The last time Iowa had six errors in a game was July 21, 2004, at Nashville.
- LHP Eric Jokisch got a no-decision, giving up no earned runs and striking out five in 5.2 innings.
- 1B Chris Valaika (.361), SS Logan Watkins (.222), and C Eli Whiteside (.200) each recorded two hits and drove in a run.
- RHP Alberto Cabrera (2-0, 1.17) tossed 1.1 scoreless innings of relief to pick up his second win.
- RHP Brian Schlitter (3.00) earned his second save despite allowing a run in the ninth inning.
Tennessee Smokies (7-7)
T-3rd Place (-2.0)
Tennessee split a home doubleheader against Jackson, evening the ongoing five-game series at two wins apiece. The Smokies were blanked 4-0 in Game 1, managing only one hit. In Game 2, Tennessee overcame a 2-0 deficit to pull out a 3-2 win.
- RHP Corey Black gave up three earned runs in four innings, fanning three and walking five in the loss.
- 1B Dustin Geiger (.289) went 1-for-2 with a single, the lone Tennessee hit.
- RHP Dae-Eun Rhee pitched four innings, giving up two earned runs and striking out four in the no-decision.
- C Taylor Davis (.333) put Tennessee ahead with an RBI single in the fourth inning.
- LHP Hunter Cervenka (1-0, 0.00) tossed two scoreless innings of relief to record his first victory.
- RHP Armando Rivero (2.45) recorded his third save of the season, striking out the side and walking one in a scoreless seventh.
Daytona Cubs (2-12)
6th Place (-9.5)
Daytona dropped its fifth-consecutive contest, losing 6-5 at home to the Tampa Yankees.
- 2B Tim Saunders (.306) went 2-for-4 from the leadoff spot with a run scored, a walk, a home run, two RBI (6), a stolen base (6) and a sacrifice fly.
- DH Rock Shoulders (.213) went 3-for-4 with a walk and one RBI (6).
- RHP Arodys Vizcaino (1.80) allowed a hit and a walk while striking out the side in the ninth.
Kane County Cougars (11-3)
1st Place (+2.5)
Kane County backed an elite start by 20-year-old Daury Torrez, recording a season-high 13 runs on 19 hits to beat host Dayton, 13-1. The Cougars have now won eight straight games.
- RHP Daury Torrez was nearly unhittable, going eight innings, giving up one earned run on two hits and a walk, and striking out four to get his second win of the season.
- C Will Remillard (.250) went 4-for-5 with two runs, two doubles (2) and his first five RBI of 2014.
- RF Yasiel Balaguert went 2-for-5 to raise his batting average to .382, good for second in the Midwest League. He ranks second in hits (21) and fourth in RBI (12).
- Remillard and Balaguert were among seven Cougars to tally multiple hits, along with Jacob Hannemann, Carlos Penalver, Ben Carhart, Jacob Rogers and Dan Lockhart.