Cubs Minor League Recap: 4/20/14
Behind a big fifth inning rally and another strong outing from starter C.J. Edwards, Tennessee racked up a win, while Iowa was shut out on Sunday. Daytona and Kane County both had the day off. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (8-9)
T-3rd Place (-2.5)
Iowa was shut out for the third time at home this season, as they fell to Round Rock 6-0.
- Carlos Pimentel suffered his third loss despite posting his second quality start. His 26 strikeouts tie Mike Fiers of Nashville for tops in the league.
- CF Matt Szczur went 2-for-4 with a pair of singles.
- SS Logan Watkins went 2-for-4 with a single and a double, raising his season average to .281.
- 2B Arismendy Alcantara went 1-for-4 with two stolen bases (5).
Tennessee Smokies (8-9)
4th Place (-3.0)
Tennessee posted a five-run fifth inning on their way to an 8-3 victory over Birmingham at Birmingham’s Regions Field.
- Tennessee scored eight runs with just one extra-base hit, a seventh-inning double for 2B Stephen Bruno (2-for-4, 2 R, RBI). The Smokies went 5-for-10 as a team with runners in scoring position.
- 3B Kris Bryant (.294) went 2-for-4 with three RBI, bringing his season total to nine.
- RF Rubi Silva added two RBI with a 2-for-5 line, his first multihit game of the season.
- RHP C.J. Edwards earned his first win in his first quality start of 2014, giving up two earned runs over six innings and striking out four.