Cubs Minor League Recap: 4/21/14
Iowa, Tennessee and Daytona all racked up big wins, while Kane County continued its small losing streak Monday. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (9-9)
T-2nd Place (-1.5)
Six scoreless innings from RHP Kyle Hendricks helped Iowa beat Round Rock at home, 5-1.
- Hendricks completed his third consecutive quality start, going six innings, giving up two hits, walking two and fanning six to pick up his third win of the season.
- RHP Yoanner Negrin (1.86) earned his first hold with a 1-2-3 seventh, and RHP Brian Schlitter (3.60) earned his third save, allowing a run over two innings.
- CF Matt Szczur (.246) went 3-for-4 with a run, a triple (1), one RBI (8) and a stolen base (5).
- 2B Arismendy Alcantara (.262) went 2-for-4 with two runs scored and his first homer of the year.
Tennessee Smokies (9-9)
T-2nd Place (-2.0)
The Smokies scored a season-high 10 runs in Birmingham to beat the Barons, 10-5.
- RHP Dae-Eun Rhee gave up two earned runs over five innings, striking out four and walking five to earn the win.
- RF Rubi Silva (.206) notched his second straight, multi-RBI game, going 2-for-5 with a first-inning home run and a game-high three RBI (6).
- CF Jae-Hoon Ha (.172) was 3-for-5 with three runs, a double and a solo homer, his first of the year.
- LF John Andreoli (.234) went 2-for-6 with two runs, a triple (1), one RBI (5) and a stolen base (8).
Daytona Cubs (4-13)
5th Place (-10.0)
Daytona battled Clearwater in a contest that featured five runs for each side in the first four innings, followed by six scoreless frames. The Cubs scored in the top of the 11th inning to win, 6-5.
- RHP Jake Arrieta made his fourth rehab start, and first with Daytona. Arrieta fanned seven hitters while allowing three home runs in 5.2 innings of work. He went 1-1 with a 0.73 ERA (1 ER/12.1 IP) in three starts with Tennessee.
- RHP Jose Rosario (1-2, 5.19) took over in the seventh and threw four scoreless frames for the win.
- RHP Arodys Vizcaino (1.50) earned his first save with a perfect 11th inning of work.
- C Chadd Krist (3-for-5) doubled in the 11th to put two runners in scoring position.
- DH Dan Vogelbach (0-for-3, 2 R, 2 BB) scored on a wild pitch in the 11th to put the Cubs ahead.
- 3B Jeimer Candelario (.214) went 2-for-4 with a run, two doubles (3) and two RBI (5).
Kane County Cougars (11-6)
1st Place (+0.5)
Kane County lost its third straight game, falling to visiting Clearwater, 5-3.
- RHP Josh Davis (1.69) allowed two runs on two hits in the ninth to suffer the loss, his first.
- RF Yasiel Balaguert (.328) went 1-for-4 with two RBI. His 14 RBI are tied for second in the league.
- 1B Jacob Rogers (1-for-4) knocked in his 11th runner of the year, tied for 12th in the league.