Cubs Minor League Recap: 4/22/14
Iowa and Daytona both had offensive outbursts, and Kane County held on to capture a win Tuesday. Tennessee surrendered 14 runs in a loss. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action:
Iowa Cubs (10-9)
T-2nd Place (-1.5)
Six extra-base hits and a quality start from Eric Jokisch helped Iowa to a 10-3 win over Round Rock.
- LHP Eric Jokisch picked up his first win of the season, going seven innings, giving up three runs on seven hits and no walks, and fanning eight.
- 2B Arismendy Alcantara (.271) went 2-for-5 with two runs, a double, a homer and two RBI (10). It was his second homer in as many games.
- SS Javier Baez (.184) went 2-for-5 with a run, a triple and three RBI (6).
- DH Chris Valaika (.340) went 3-for-3 with a run, a double, a walk and an RBI.
- C Luis Flores (.300) went 2-for-3 with three runs, a walk and two RBI.
- Iowa hit .538 (7-for-13) with runners in scoring position.
Tennessee Smokies (9-10)
4th Place (-2.0)
Birmingham’s eight-run fifth and five-run eighth contributed to a Smokies 14-3 setback on the road.
- RHP Pierce Johnson was activated from the DL (right hamstring strain), and made his first career start at the Double-A level. He gave up three earned runs over four innings, striking out five.
- 3B Kris Bryant went 3-for-5 with a run and a double, raising his season average to .311.
- RHP Ryan Searle (9.26) allowed six earned runs in relief.
- LHP Jeff Lorick (4.70) replaced him and allowed five runs, three earned.
Daytona Cubs (5-13)
5th Place (-9.0)
Daytona tallied 14 runs on 12 extra-base hits between the third and sixth innings to win, 18-5, at Clearwater.
- RHP Tayler Scott earned the win, giving up one earned run over 5.1 innings and striking out one.
- 1B Rock Shoulders (.250) launched his second homer, a two-out grand slam in the ninth inning, and went 3-for-5 with four runs, a walk, two doubles, the homer and four RBI (12).
- RF Pin-Chieh Chen (.339) went 4-for-5 with four runs, a walk, a double, two triples and three RBI (11).
- 2B Gioskar Amaya (.474) added three hits, going 3-for-4 with four runs, a walk and an RBI.
Kane County (12-6)
1st Place (+0.5)
Kane County held off a late Beloit rally to win, 5-4, at home.
- RHP Paul Blackburn gave up one earned run over 5.1 innings, posting no strikeouts and walking two.
- LHP Nathan Dorris (2.2 IP, 1 ER, 1.64) and RHP Jose Arias (0.2 IP, 2 ER, 4.50) earned holds, while RHP Zack Godley (2.35 ERA) recorded a one-out save, his third.
- RF Yasiel Balaguert (.324) went 1-for-4 with a run, a walk and an RBI. His 15 RBI are tied for second in the league.
- Four other players recorded one RBI each: CF Jacob Hannemann (.226, 5), SS Carlos Penalver (.302, 6), DH Ben Carhart (.276, 8) and 3B David Bote (.225, 5).