Cubs Minor League Recap: 4/23/14
Corey Black pitched a gem for Double-A Tennessee, and a big inning pushed Kane County to a victory Wednesday. Daytona surrendered four runs in the fifth in a losing effort, while Iowa had the day off. Here are the highlights from yesterday’s action:
Tennessee Smokies (10-10)
T-3rd Place (-2.0)
After allowing Birmingham to score eight runs in the fifth inning on Tuesday, Tennessee put up eight in the first frame to back six hitless innings from RHP Corey Black. The Smokies beat host Birmingham, 9-1.
- RHP Corey Black went six hitless innings, striking out eight and walking three.
- RHP P.J. Francescon (0.73) allowed two hits and one run over three innings to earn the save.
- LF John Andreoli (.286) went 3-for-6 with a run.
- 1B Dustin Geiger (.239) went 2-for-5 with a double (3) and two RBI (8).
- 2B Wes Darvill (.189) was 2-for-5 with a run, two doubles (3) and three RBI (7).
Daytona Cubs (5-14)
5th Place (-10.0)
Host Clearwater scored four runs in the fifth inning to beat Daytona, 6-3.
- 2B Gioskar Amaya (.500) notched his second consecutive three-hit game (and his third such effort in the last six games), finishing 3-for-5 with two runs, a double (1), an RBI (3) and a stolen base (2).
- SS Marco Hernandez (.321) also had his second straight multihit game, singling twice to go 2-for-4.
- LF Bijan Rademacher, whose .370 average ranks second in the Florida State League, went 1-for-2 to extend his hitting streak to eight games. He’s hit .357 (10-for-28) during that stretch.
Kane County Cougars (13-6)
1st Place (+1.5)
A five-run seventh helped seal a 10-4 win for Kane County at home vs. Beloit.
- RHP Tyler Skulina gave up three earned runs in 4.1 innings pitched, fanning two in a no-decision.
- RHP Justin Amlung (3-0, 2.45) earned the win, throwing 3.2 scoreless innings of relief.
- LF Shawon Dunston (.184) blasted a three-run homer in the seventh, finishing 2-for-4 with two runs, a double (1), a homer and three RBI (6).
- C Will Remillard (.333) went a perfect 4-for-4 with a run, a double (3) and three RBI (8).
- 3B Jordan Hankins (.214) added three more hits, going 3-4 with a run, a double (1), two RBI (3) and a stolen base (1).