Cubs Minor League Recap: 4/24/14
Iowa recorded a shutout victory, Daytona got a big showing from its first baseman, and Kane County scored seven runs in the eighth inning in a comeback win Thursday. Meanwhile, Tennessee was edged out in a loss. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (11-9)
2nd Place (-1.5)
Iowa recorded its first-ever shutout at Colorado Springs with a 9-0 victory.
- LHP Tsuyoshi Wade lowered his league-leading ERA to 0.68 with five scoreless innings of work. He struck out six and walked one.
- RHP’s Alberto Cabrera (0.82) and Eduardo Figueroa (1.59) combined to toss four scoreless innings of relief, fanning six.
- 1B Chris Valaika (.382) recorded a season-high four hits, going 4-for-5 with four runs, a double (6) and one RBI (10).
- 3B Christian Villanueva (.194) went 2-for-5 with two doubles (7) and a game-high three RBI (7).
- RF Chris Coghlan (.237) and LF Josh Vitters (.250) each pitched in with two hits apiece.
Tennessee Smokies (10-11)
T-3rd Place (-3.0)
Tennessee managed just four hits in a 3-1 loss to visiting Huntsville.
- 3B Kris Bryant (.304) went 1-for-3 with a walk and his sixth double of the year.
- 2B Stephen Bruno (.239) went 2-for-4 with a run scored and a triple (1).
- RHP Armando Rivero (1.74) tossed two scoreless innings of relief.
Daytona Cubs (6-14)
5th Place (-9.0)
Daytona got a four-hit performance from 1B Dan Vogelbach and beat host Brevard County, 7-3.
- Vogelbach went a perfect 4-for-4 with two runs scored, a home run and two RBI (11).
- CF Albert Almora (.284) extended his hitting streak to seven games, going 2-for-4 with a run scored and a double (6). He’s hitting .290 (9-for-31) during the streak.
- 2B Gioskar Amaya (.519) and SS Marco Hernandez (.333) each had two hits apiece.
- RHP Ben Wells (1-1, 2.16) tossed three scoreless innings of relief to earn his first win of the season.
Kane County Cougars (14-6)
1st Place (+1.5)
Kane County scored seven runs in the eighth inning to beat visiting Beloit, 10-8.
- LF Trey Martin (.240) went 2-for-4 with a run scored, a double (3) and two RBI (9).
- 3B Jordan Hankins (.233) and SS Daniel Lockhart (.222) each had a hit and two RBI.
- RHP Tyler Bremer (2-0, 3.38) struck out six over three innings to pick up the win.
- RHP Zack Godley (2.08) worked a perfect ninth inning to earn his fourth save of the season.