Cubs Minor League Recap: 4/27/14
Tennessee and Daytona both mustered one-run victories Sunday, and Kane County continued to lead the Midwest League. Iowa’s game was called off Sunday because of high winds and freezing temperatures. The makeup game has been scheduled as part of a June 26 doubleheader. Here are the highlights from yesterday’s Cubs minor league action:
Tennessee Smokies (11-13)
T-2nd place (-4.0)
Tennessee allowed just one hit in a 2-1 victory over visiting Huntsville.
- RHP Pierce Johnson tossed four innings of one-hit ball, giving up one earned run while walking eight in a no-decision.
- 1B Dustin Geiger (.227) went 1-for-3 with a seventh-inning solo home run. Geiger’s five home runs on the year are tied with teammate Kris Bryant and six others for the league lead.
- 3B Kris Bryant (.300) went 0-for-3 with a walk and has now reached base safely in 23 consecutive games dating to last season.
- LHP Hunter Cervenka (2-0, 1.59) tossed three perfect innings of relief to earn the victory.
- RHP Armando Rivero (1.46) converted his fourth save of the season, recording the final six outs.
- Tennessee pitchers retired the final 16 hitters in order to finish the game.
Daytona Cubs (9-14)
5th place (-9.0)
Daytona completed a four-game sweep of Brevard County, winning in walk-off fashion, 2-1. The Cubs have won seven of their last eight games.
- RHP Tayler Scott got a no-decision, despite giving up one earned run over six innings and fanning four.
- 2B Gioskar Amaya (.487) recorded his fourth three-hit game of the season, going 3-for-4.
- 3B Jeimer Candelario (.197) reached base four times, going 2-for-2 with a run, two walks, a double (4) and one RBI (7).
- C Willson Contreras (.171) went 1-for-4 with a game-winning RBI single to score Candelario.
- RHP Michael Jensen (1-0, 3.97) struck out four in three scoreless innings of relief to earn the win.
Kane County Cougars (17-6)
1st Place (+3.0)
- RHP Jen-Ho Tseng picked up the win, giving up two earned runs over five innings and striking out two. He’s now 2-0 on the year.
- C Will Remillard (.356) went 3-for-4 with a double (6), a home run and three RBI (15).
- CF Jacob Hannemann (.253) went 3-for-5 with a run and a season-high four RBI (10).
- DH Daniel Canela (.277), 3B Jordan Hankins (.297) and 2B Daniel Lockhart (.250) all had two hits apiece.
- RHP Tyler Bremer (2.84) tossed two scoreless innings of relief. He hasn’t allowed a run in his last 8.2 innings of work (four appearances).