Cubs Minor League Recap: 4/28/14
Iowa and Tennessee were able to secure wins Monday, but Daytona lost a shootout and Kane County had its winning streak snapped. Here are the highlights from yesterday’s action:
Iowa Cubs (14-9)
1st Place (+1.0)
Iowa won its sixth straight game, beating visiting Omaha, 6-3. The I-Cubs have outscored their opponents 48-15 during the winning streak. The last time the Cubs had a six-game winning streak was May 25-31, 2012.
- LHP Eric Jokisch pitched 6.1 innings, giving up two earned runs and striking out eight to pick up the win.
- 1B Lars Anderson (.229) finished a triple shy of the cycle, going 3-for-4 with a run, a double (2), a home run and two RBI (5).
- SS Javier Baez (.172) went 1-for-3 with two walks and a first-inning, three-run blast. It was his first homer since April 10.
- C Luis Flores (.333) and RF Chris Coghlan (.262) each had two hits apiece.
- RHP Blake Parker (0.00) struck out the side in the ninth inning to earn his third save of the year.
Tennessee Smokies (12-13)
T-2nd Place (-3.0)
Tennessee scored four runs in the sixth inning to beat visiting Huntsville, 4-1.
- RHP Corey Black earned the win, striking out six batters and giving up three hits and a walk over six innings.
- 3B Kris Bryant (.298) went 1-for-4 with a double (8) and one RBI (12). He’s reached base safely in 24 consecutive games dating to last season.
- RF John Andreoli (.286) and C Rafael Lopez (.298) each had two hits.
- RHP Tony Zych (8.00) worked a scoreless ninth inning to earn his first save of the campaign.
- Prior to the game, Black was named the Southern League Pitcher of the Week for April 21-27. Black tossed six innings of no-hit ball in his April 23 outing at Birmingham, earning the win with eight strikeouts and three walks.
Daytona Cubs (9-15)
5th Place (-10.0)
Daytona dropped a slugfest at Lakeland, falling to the Flying Tigers, 11-10.
- 3B Jeimer Candelario (.213) went 2-for-4 with a double (5) and a third-inning grand slam. His six RBI on the night are the most by a Daytona Cubs player in a single game this season.
- LF Bijan Rademacher (.375) went 3-for-5 with two runs scored, a double (6) and one RBI (10). His .375 batting average (27-for-72) on the season is third-best in the Florida State League.
- CF Alberto Almora (.277) and SS Marco Hernandez (.320) each pitched in with two hits.
- RHP Arodys Vizcaino (1.13) tossed a scoreless eighth inning. Left-handed hitters are 0-for-9 against him this season.
Kane County Cougars (17-7)
1st Place (+2.5)
Kane County had its six-game winning streak snapped in a rain-shortened, six-inning contest at Cedar Rapids, falling 1-0.
- RHP Paul Blackburn was handed the loss despite giving up one run on three hits and striking out four over five innings.
- RF Yasiel Balaguert (.320) went 1-for-3 to extend his hitting streak to eight games. He’s hitting .294 (10-for-34) with six RBI during the stretch.
- DH Jordan Hankins (.308) extended his hitting streak to five games, going 1-for-2.
- RHP Justin Amlung (2.30) tossed a scoreless sixth inning. He hasn’t allowed a run in his last 4.2 innings of work.