Cubs Minor League Recap: 5/1/14
Iowa split its doubleheader, Tennessee came away with a win, and Kane County dropped both of its games Thursday. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (15-10)
1st Place (+1.5)
GM 1: Iowa won its seventh-straight game, allowing just three hits in a 1-0 victory over visiting Omaha.
- LHP Tsuyoshi Wada went five scoreless innings, giving up two hits and striking out eight to pick up the win. His 0.57 ERA leads the league (2 ER/31.1 IP).
- CF Matt Szczur (.264) went 1-for-3, singling in the fifth to knock in his 10th RBI, the game winner.
- RHP Marcus Hatley (0.82) earned his second hold with a perfect sixth, and RHP Blake Parker (0.00) earned his fourth save by holding the Storm Chasers scoreless in the seventh.
Game 2: Omaha snapped Iowa’s seven-game winning streak, beating the I-Cubs, 8-6.
- CF Matt Szczur (.267) went 1-for-3 with a run, a walk and two RBI (12).
- RF Logan Watkins (.268) went 1-for-4 with a run, two RBI (6) and a stolen base (5).
- SS Javier Baez went 1-for-3 with two runs and two stolen bases (3).
- Iowa managed no extra-base hits and committed three errors for three unearned runs.
Tennessee Smokies (14-13)
T-2nd Place (-3.0)
The Smokies erupted for a five-run ninth to earn the 7-2 win at Chattanooga.
- RHP Matt Loosen gave up one earned run, striking out eight over five innings, and picking up the win.
- C Rafael Lopez (.323) extended his hitting streak to eight games, going 3-for-4 with a run, a walk, a double (10, T-first in the PCL) and an RBI (11).
- Tennessee hitters from the eighth spot in the lineup went a perfect 3-for-3, with 2B Wes Darvill (.220) starting off 2-for-2 and PH Stephen Bruno (.237) ripping a two-run, RBI double.
- RHP P.J. Francescon (1.17) tossed two hitless innings to earn his first hold of the year.
- RHP Tony Zych (7.36) notched his second save, allowing one run over two innings of relief.
Kane County Cougars (18-9)
1st Place (+1.0)
Game 1: Kane County committed four errors in a 5-2 loss at Cedar Rapids.
- DH Cael Brockmeyer (.500) recorded two of Kane County’s six hits, going 2-for-3.
- LF Trey Martin went 1-for-3 with his 10th RBI.
Game 2: Kane County’s late rally fell short, as they lost to Cedar Rapids, 5-4.
- 3B Jordan Hankins (.289, 7 RBI) and DH Danny Canela (.278, 6 RBI) each notched an RBI single.
- RF Yasiel Balaguert (.296) went 0-for-4, but managed to knock in his 20th RBI, tied for third in the league.