Cubs Minor League Recap: 5/4/14
Daytona picked up an extra-innings win in dramatic fashion, and Kane County cruised to another victory Sunday. Iowa and Tennessee both fell short in afternoon action. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor league slate:
Iowa Cubs (15-13)
1st Place (+0.5)
Iowa lost its fourth-straight game, falling at Nashville, 5-1.
- LF Josh Vitters (.196) went 1-for-3 with a fifth-inning solo home run.
- 1B Lars Anderson (.244) and 3B Christian Villanueva (.211) each recorded a double. Villanueva’s 10 doubles this season are two short of the league lead.
Tennessee Smokies (16-14)
2nd Place (-3.0)
Tennessee could not overcome a 6-1 deficit, falling to Chattanooga, 6-4.
- RHP Corey Black, the Southern League’s Pitcher of the Week for April 21-27, tied a career-high with five walks. He helped himself with an RBI single in the fifth, his first career hit and RBI.
- C Rafael Lopez (.310) reached base three times, going 1-for-2 with two walks and two RBI (12).
Daytona Cubs (10-17)
5th Place (-10.0)
Jeimer Candelario hit a walk-off home run in the bottom of the 12th inning to lift Daytona over visiting Lakeland, 2-1.
- RHP Felix Pena spun six scoreless innings while giving up only one hit and one walk. He has yet to allow more than one earned run in his six starts this season.
- 3B Candelario came to the plate 0-for-4 before blasting the game-winning homer in the 12th inning.
- RHP Stephen Perakslis (4.63) struck out three in three scoreless innings of relief to earn his first win.
Kane County Cougars (21-9)
1st Place (+3.0)
CF Jacob Hannemann’s leadoff home run set the pace for the game, as the Cougars scored seven runs in the first inning to defeat the visiting Burlington Bees, 13-3.
- RHP Paul Blackburn earned the win, going six innings, giving up three earned runs and striking out six.
- 2B Danny Lockhart (.262) turned in the first four-hit game of his career, going 4-for-5 with two runs scored, two doubles (4), two RBI (10) and one stolen base (3).
- 3B Jordan Hankins (.293) went 2-for-5 with three runs, two doubles (4) and a career-high four RBI (11).
- SS Carlos Penalver (3-for-5), DH Ben Carhart (2-for-6) and C Will Remillard (2-for-4) also tallied multiple hits for the Cougars.
- LHP Gerardo Concepcion (3.63) struck out three hitters in two innings of work.