Cubs Minor League Recap: 5/5/14
Iowa snapped its losing streak, Tennessee put up most of its 11 runs in one inning to grab a win and Kane County cruised to its 10th straight victory Monday. Daytona fell in a game to Lakeland. Here are the highlights from yesterday’s Cubs minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (16-13)
1st Place (+0.5)
Iowa snapped its four-game losing streak, scoring seven runs in the ninth to beat host Nashville, 12-3.
- RHP Dallas Beeler picked up the win, giving up one earned run over six innings of work, striking out three.
- SS Chris Valaika (.326) went 2-for-5 with two runs, a double (9), a home run and three RBI (16).
- CF Brett Jackson (.159) and LF Josh Vitters (.198) each clubbed a homer while driving in two.
- 3B Christian Villanueva (.221), 2B Arismendy Alcantara (.280) and C Luis Flores (.344) all recorded multi-hit efforts.
- RHP Blake Parker (0.00) earned his fifth save of the season, tossing 1.1 scoreless innings of relief.
Tennessee Smokies (17-14)
2nd Place (-3.0)
Powered by an eight-run third, the Smokies defeated Nashville at home, 11-7.
- RHP Ivan Pineyro gave up one earned run over 4.2 innings, striking out five in the no-decision.
- CF Rubi Silva (.227) went 1-for-3 with a run, a three-run homer and four RBI (15).
- DH Charlie Cutler (.297) tied a career-high in hits, going a perfect 4-for-4 with a run and one RBI (8).
- C Rafael Lopez (.329) went 3-for-5 with three runs, a double (10) and an RBI (13).
- 2B Stephen Bruno (.258) went 2-for-5 with two runs, two doubles (7) and two RBI (11).
- 3B Kris Bryant (.300) went 2-for-5 with a run and two RBI (17).
- RHP P.J. Francescon (3-1, 1.02) earned the win with 2.1 scoreless innings of relief.
Daytona Cubs (10-18)
5th Place (-11.0)
Visiting Lakeland tallied 17 hits in an 8-6 victory over Daytona.
- LF Bijan Rademacher (.366) went 2-for-2 with three runs scored, a homer, three RBI (13), and a stolen base (2).
- C Chadd Krist (.250) and DH Rock Shoulders (.232) each recorded a hit while driving in one.
Kane County Cougars (22-9)
1st Place (+3.5)
Kane County won its 10th straight game at home, beating the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers, 8-4.
- RHP Tyler Skulina pitched four innings, giving up no earned runs on two hits and striking out four.
- RF Yasiel Balaguert (.292) went 2-for-3 with a seventh-inning, solo home run.
- C Cael Brockmeyer (.500) went 3-for-3 with two runs scored and a double (2).
- CF Jacob Hannemann (.264) and LF Shawon Dunston (.210) each had two hits and two RBI.
- LHP Nathan Dorris (4-1, 1.59) allowed a run on three hits in three relief innings to earn the win.
- RHP Zack Godley (1.80) converted his seventh save of the season, with two innings of work.